Danby Dpac8Kdb Portable Air Conditioner
- Danby DPAC8KDB Portable Air Conditioner
8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Get ready for summer with this 8,000 BTU cooling capacity portable air conditioner. With a coverage area of 250 sq. ft. this air conditioner is perfect for your living room, family room or rec room. 8,000 BTU Cooling Capacity Cools areas up to 250 sq. ft. based on the conditions. 45 Pint Capacity per 24 Hours with Direct Drain Feature Environmentally Friendly R410a Refrigerant Electronic Controls with Remote and LED Display 3 Fan Speeds Auto On/Off Have the unit start or stop to meet your schedule. Single Hose Design Efficiently exhausts warm humid air outside. Specifications Capacity: 8,000 BTU Cooling Area: 250 Sq. Ft. Refrigerant: R410a Controls: Electronic Remote Control: Yes LED Display: Yes Fan Speeds: 3 Auto On/Off: Yes Air Filter: Reusable Single Hose Design: Yes Dimensions and Weights Width: 17 5/16" Depth: 12" Height: 27 3/16" Shipping Weight: 68.2 Lbs.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
###If you own this unit and the temperatures aren't reading properly, insulate the exhaust hose with some foil from where it connects to the unit and about 2 feet after that###
- Remote controlled
- Easy to install kit into window. Easy to move as well with the built-on castor wheels
- Cools great - our room is maybe 15 x 15 and we can keep it at 73 degrees all night without an issue. Unit goes to 61 degrees.
- Fan noise is pleasant - we like white noise
- Thermostat shuts compressor off once temp is reached, kicks back on when temp rises again.
- Timer is easy to set and helps to save energy.
- Energy usage is a lot less than running the central air all night (My KilaWatt meter gave me an average of 5.92kWh per night over 5 days or roughly $9 a month)
- Doubles as a dehumidifier with 45 pint capacity. Comes with hose for draining. Don't use the hose if just using it as an AC unit.
- Pulls a lot of dust out of the air. Just make sure you clean your filters about once a month.
- Blue led-lit display on the front is too BRIGHT. We cut a flap of thin cardboard and taped it to the unit along the top and sides using some electrical tape. Doing so prevents remote from functioning with unit though.
- Hose comes out at a 90 degree angle from the unit making it difficult to place next to a wall. Clearance required is roughly 1 foot behind the unit to allow proper air flow.
- Hose coming out the rear tends to get hot and gives off ambient heat. Since the units thermostat is literally right above the hose (located under the top rear filter on the upper right) the temperature readings can be off by as much as 10 degrees. At first we were having issues with the compressor running all night non stop. When I figured out what was going on I insulated the hose with some foil where the hose connects to the unit and about 2 feet more of the hose from there. Temps now read properly.
We bought our unit from Best Buy with my wife's employee discount so we paid quite a bit less than what Amazon is selling it for but I would have gladly paid the amount here for the pleasant sleep we now both enjoy.
-The dehumidifier does not turn on when the unit is in cooling mode.
-A thermostat that switches the unit from cooling to fan mode once the room has reached the set temperature.
-Very easy to use.
-A timer that can turn it on or off when you aren't around.
-The exhaust hose is not insulated so all the hot air passing though it is radiated back into the room.
-No adjustable slats for pointing the air in a direction you want.
-It doesn't seem to put out 8,000 BTUs of cool air. My old 2,000 BTU window units cooled better.
-The PVC window blockers that the exhaust hose connects to is very wide. So wide that it doesn't fit my window. I have to tilt it in and block off the open space with cardboard.
-The exhaust hose does not connect firmly to the PVC window blockers. They can be easily pulled apart by simply moving the unit.
-It struggles to keep a small room cooled below 77F during a warm day.
-Rather heavy, about 75 pounds.
I plan to return this Danby portable air conditioner to Best Buy and find something else.