Demonizing the Other: Antisemitism, Racism and Xenophobia Paperback – Jan 6 2012
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Robert S Wistrich is Neuberger Professor of Modern European History at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, and scholar-in-residence at the Center for Jewish Studies, Harvard University. Among his many books is the award-winning Antisemitism: The Longest Hatred
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The papers deal with as different subject matters as demonization of the "other" in visual arts (Ziva Amisha-Maisels), antisemitism and other -isms in the Graeco-Roman world (Daniel R. Schwartz), Jews and Christians in the Middle Ages (Israel J. Yuval) and Medieval Muslim Thought (Hava Lazarus-Yafeh), or images in the antisemitisms of the Third Republic (Richard I. Cohen), Nazi Germany (Philippe Burrin), Poland (Yisrael Gutman), Arab-Muslim world (Rivka Yadlin) and contemporary Germany (Robert S. Wistrich). The collection also addresses directly at least two important public and academic debates: the controversy around Daniel J. Goldhagen's Hitler's Willing Executioners, and the discussion about Stephane Courtois' Black Book of Communism.
The largely excellent contributions to this book are far too varied and sophisticated to do justice to them in a short review. It should be pointed out once more that this volume constitutes a useful collection of divergent observations and theories on the issue of xenophobia throughout human history. It should find a warm welcome among scholars from many different disciplines, and will influence future debates on the roots and nature of exclusionism and genocide.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts
- Books > History > Americas > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > History > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Race Relations
- Books > Religion & Spirituality