so i bought this soundtrack in the used section of a record store for $2. i've never seen the movie (i intend to seek it out eventually though as christina ricci and the magic eye guy from mallrats are in it. well, here's a track by track review.
1)The Frug: Great song. Lots of fun. My, do i want Jenny Lewis. 5/5
2) What the Hell are You Crying for: This is the Cardigans girl. Honestly, it sounds like Jenny Lewis' solo stuff. I like this. 4/5
3)Sleepwalking: Ben Lee..the member of the Bens that isn't Ben Folds nor Ben Kweller. He's much better than BK though. This song is pretty. 4/5
4) Lonely Lola Cherry Cola Girl: Bic Runga..no idea who this is. The verse is nice the chorus is trite Lillith fair nonsense. Hmm..3/5
5) Death of a Minor TV Celebrity: Eh. The vocals in this sound like a kid trying out for an Oasis cover band. 1.5/5
6) 85: More Rilo Kiley. This song is even better than Frug. Awesome. 5/5
7) Cracklin' Water: Ambient beginning. Somewhat odd yet interesting. The 6:30 length is too long though. I stopped paying attention. 2.5/5
8)Nothin': These vocal effects are annoying and distracting. Too long again and without substance. 1/5
9)Metal Heart: I LOVE Cat Power. Definitely the best song on this album. Beautiful. 5/5
10)Perfect Sunset: Strange name. Pretty standard acoustic stuff. 3/5
11)Sweet Misery: Older song. Not the type of female vocals i'm really into. Otherwise, it's pretty good. 3/5
12)It's Such a Pretty World Today: Not for me and doesn't fit in at all. 1/5
13)Break it Up: Terrible Vocals. Man, this sucks. 0/5
14) Untitled: Okay until the guy starts "howling at the moon tonight" then its laughable. but maybe it's supposed to be like that. you can never tell. 3/5
So the great songs are really great and the bad are quite bad. But for cheap, pick this up. It's worth it for the Rilo Kiley, Cat Power and that Nina Persson song alone.