Over 100 recipes to build exciting Android applications with Flash, Flex, and AIR
- The quickest way to solve your problems with building Flash applications for Android
- Contains a variety of recipes to demonstrate mobile Android concepts and provide a solid foundation for your ideas to grow
- Learn from a practical set of examples how to take advantage of multitouch, geolocation, the accelerometer, and more
- Optimize and configure your application for worldwide distribution through the Android Market
- Part of Packt's Cookbook series: Each recipe is a carefully organized sequence of instructions to complete the task as efficiently as possible
Flash has now arrived to Android -- the fastest growing smartphone platform. This offers massive opportunities for Flash developers who want to get into mobile development. At the same time, working on smartphones will introduce new challenges and issues that Flash developers may not be familiar with.
The Flash Development for Android Cookbook enables Flash developers to branch out into Android mobile applications through a set of essential, easily demonstrable recipes. It takes you through the entire development workflow: from setting up a local development environment, to developing and testing your application, to compiling for distribution to the ever-growing Android Market.
The Flash Development for Android Cookbook starts off with recipes that cover development environment configuration as well as mobile project creation and conversion. It then moves on to exciting topics such as the use of touch and gestures, responding to device movement in 3D space, working with multimedia, and handling application layout. Essential tasks such as tapping into native processes and manipulating the file system are also covered. We then move on to some cool advanced stuff such as Android-specific device permissions, application debugging and optimization techniques, and the packaging and distribution options available on the mobile Android platform.
In a nutshell, this cookbook enables you to get quickly up to speed with mobile Android development using the Flash Platform in ways that are meaningful and immediately applicable to the rapidly growing area of mobile application development.
Take your Flash applications beyond the desktop and into the emerging world of mobile application development.
What you will learn from this book
- Configure Flash Professional, Flash Builder, or FDT to develop Android applications cross-platform regardless of operating system
- Convert Flex and ActionScript projects to true mobile experiences
- Work with multitouch and gestures for a truly innovative user experience
- Use the geolocation and accelerometer sensors to respond to location and movement
- Make use of the built-in microphone and camera hardware for user generated content
- Stream audio and video to an application using a variety of protocols
- Use advanced image display and modifications using custom shaders
- Effectively scale and position the interface elements across devices
- Employ a variety of URI handlers to invoke native SMS, telephone, e-mail, maps, and more
- Work with the Android file system and manage application databases easily
- Compile and submit your application or game to the ever growing, worldwide Android Market
Written in cookbook style, this book offers solutions to all common Flash Android development problems through recipes. Each recipe contains step-by-step instructions followed by analysis of what was done in each task and other useful information. The book is designed so that you can read it chapter by chapter, or you can look at the list of recipes and refer to them in no particular order.
Who this book is written for
This book contains recipes covering a variety of topics from the very simple to those that are more advanced. If you are a seasoned Flash developer, this book will get you quickly up to speed with what is possible with Android. For those who are new to Flash, welcome to the world of visually rich, rapid application development for mobile Android devices! If you have any interest in Flash development for Android, this book is for you.