There isn't much documentation that arrives with the repeater, but set up was relatively simple and straightforward. You plug the device into an outlet, plug the ethernet cable into your computer, and load the repeater's GUI to complete the remaining set up. It doesn't take very long, however, the repeater's GUI is incredibly slow (I verified this wasn't a computer issue by testing it across multiple machines running different operating systems and it lagged on *all* of them)--on a positive note, one should only need to deal with the GUI a few times in the use of this product (that's assuming all goes well).
Although I can use all my wireless devices throughout my home, the wireless signal is spotty in my office and a few devices have weak or spotty signals (specifically my desktop's internal WiFi adapter and my netbook, each of which will get only 1-2 bars). That's where I thought a repeater would come in handy--it's supposed to, as the name implies, repeat a wireless signal that it picks up and forward it on to its final destination. That's a simplification, of course, but it's the gist. Unfortunately, there were problems from the start.
First problem was with this device actually *repeating* the signal--it didn't. Let me back up and mention that during the set up process I was briefly presented with an error message that quickly disappeared before the repeater finished the set up process. Barring that blip all else seemed to go fine and the repeater had latched on to my wireless network and appeared to be in full working order. Upon moving it to its intended final location, the repeater failed to repeat.
In my troubleshooting I found that I could set up a bridge easily enough and I could set it to function as its own access point easily enough, however, as its own access point the signal output was exceptionally poor and unreliable. That's when I decided to do a hard reset (i.e. pressing the reset button to restore factory settings) and start over.
After going through the process again, I did receive the same brief error message again, but this time the repeater actually managed to do its primary function and repeat the given wireless signal. That said, I noticed no significant boost--though to be fair, I did get a one bar bump (i.e. instead of a solid 2 bars, I was getting a solid 3 bars), but it was no where near what was claimed. As if that wasn't bad enough, the signal kept dropping.
So, I decided to try placing the repeater in a different location. This is also where I should mention that it was placed in a halfway point as recommended and I had 2 out of 3 bars on the device (i.e. it fell within the "recommended" range to pick up the wireless signal). This is when everything went downhill and fast. No matter where I placed the device it would only get one bar--even when I put it in the direct line of sight of the router and even when I placed it in its prior location where it had gotten 2 bars.
This called for a little experiment involving my iPhone, Android tablet, and my finicky netbook. Basically I took all three devices throughout my home to see how strong a signal each would be able to get. In a location where both my iPhone and tablet received a strong 5 bars and my netbook received a solid 3 bars (sometimes 4), I decided to plug in this device. One bar. Frankly, a device whose sole purpose is to boost a wifi signal, one would think its internal antenna would be stronger than that of a cell phone, tablet, and an aging netbook. But it seems one would be wrong.
So while this did manage to do some of the things it claims (i.e. acting as a wirless access point and bridge) it performed poorly where it truly counted--as a repeater and booster of a wireless signal in order to "reduce/eliminate dead spots".