- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Dictionary of the American West: Over 5,000 Terms and Expressions from Aarigaa! to Zopilote Paperback – Aug 7 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From School Library Journal
YA-A lively collection of 5,000 Western terms and expressions from "a-coming and a-going" to Zuni. Based on earlier dictionaries of the area but enhanced by the inclusion of such groups as "women, Indians, Mormons, Hispanics, blacks, French Canadians...," the volume contains mostly short definitions of a few lines, but some are more lengthy and include quotes and anecdotes as well as pronunciation guides and cross references. This will be useful for readers of Westerns and for regional and local history collections.
Copyright 1993 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From Library Journal
Blevins is well known for fictionalizing the history of the American West in works like Stone Song: A Novel of the Life of Crazy Horse, but at the same time he is lauded for his accuracy. He maintains that, like any other subgroup in America, Westerners have a language all their own, and over time he has grown frustrated when his editors or readers did not understand his writing. The result is this dictionary, expanded and revised from the 1992 edition (Facts On File), which defines terms commonly used in the West. Many of the 5000-plus entries are new or rewritten, and the text pays greater attention to the Pacific Coast States, including Alaska. In addition, greater emphasis is placed on words from many of the minority groups influencing Western history, from Mormons to blacks, who are often overlooked in similar works. As a result, this dictionary is much more current than the venerable Western Words: A Dictionary of the American West (o.p.) or Western Words: A Dictionary of the Old West (Hippocrene, 1997), both by Ramon Frederick Adams. The engagingly written entries are arranged alphabetically and frequently include guides to pronunciation. Overall, an informative and entertaining work; recommended for public and academic libraries. Daniel Liestman, Kansas State Univ. Libs., Manhattan
Copyright 2001 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This dictionary pauses in its definition of mayordomo to discuss New Mexican acequias in a liesurely way. The definition of dogie, and speculation on its origins, is a satisfying essay on its own.
It's a book for reading, not a reference tool--it's too hard to get out of to be resorted to on a purely practical basis. Makes you glad to be a speaking creature.
* A murder. A body in the streets at dawn. Said to have been commonplace in the early days of Los Angeles and in Denver.
Other than that, it's plain old fun to read...He tells a lot of stories in the definitions and is obviously having a lot of fun.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > English (American)
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > English (British)
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Slang & Idioms
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Art
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > History
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > United States
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > United States
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Dictionaries