- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Dictionary of Pseudonyms Hardcover – Jan 1998
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Top toponymist and onomastician Room doubled the number of entries (to 8000) in this expansive revised edition of his 1989 volume of the same name. While you can find information on pseudonyms in a number of other references, such as Gale's Contemporary Authors, this is likely your best single source. In each entry you'll find the person's given name, other pseudonyms, and background on how (and sometimes why) the pseudonym came to be. Entries cover current and historical personages ranging from King Tut and the Rolling Stones' Bill Wyman to Greta Garbo and Italian castrati who adopted the names of their patrons. Seven lively and entertaining introductory chapters examine such topics as what a name is, where names come from, and why people choose to change their nameAonce or repeatedly. The appendixes offer even more: a listing of Voltaire's and Daniel Defoe's numerous pseudonyms (178 and 198, respectively), lists of the pen names of current writers, and a list of real names often supposed to be pseudonyms. Filled with fascinating tidbits of information gleaned from copious research, this is recommended for public, research, reference, and art libraries.ACarol Spielman Lezak, General Learning Corp., Northbrook, IL
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Twice as many entries as the previous edition, which was published in 1989. Many existing entries have been updated. This is the place to find the real name of actor Laurence Harvey (Larushka Mischa Skikne), to sort through all the names used by Voltaire, or to discover the origins of the names Alice Cooper and Tiny Tim. Room, described in the publisher's promotional literature as "a noted toponymist and onomastician," is also the author of Placenames of the World [RBB Je 1 & 15 97] and numerous other name and word origin books.See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > Education & Reference > Catalogues & Directories > Directories
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Books > Education & Reference > Genealogy
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Publishing & Books > Bibliographies & Indexes > Art & Photography
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Publishing & Books > Bibliographies & Indexes > History
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Dictionaries