- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Difference / Indifference: Musings on Postmodernism, Marcel Duchamp and John Cage Hardcover – Oct 1 1998
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Moira Roth is a legendary art historian whose writings on the unconventional lives and difficult art of Marcel Duchamp and John Cage are models of critical accessibility. Writing in an engagingly personal diaristic style, these classic essays are collected in Difference/Indiffrence.
The core of the book is provided by her two very influential and much cited essays of the 70's, Marcel Duchamp in America: A Self Ready-Made and The Aesthetic of Indifference, amplified by a series of interviews Roth conducted -- she is a virtuoso of the interview form....These talks both nuance our picture of Duchamp himself and trace the ripple effect of his work and persona upon American art in the third quarter of the 20th century. They are followed by a more personal section in which Roth in effect interviews herself, reflecting-from the distance of the present-upon her own bittersweet tale of engagement/disengagement with the Duchamp phenomenon.
Sheldon Nodelman of Art in America
Inside This Book(Learn More)
An article in which I place Duchamp, a French symbolist dandy and hermetic scholar, and Rrose Selavy, a femme fatale, in modernist America, and discuss the roles Duchamp's art and personae inventions played in American art history. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Artists, A-Z > ( D-F ) > Duchamp, Marcel
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > Schools, Periods & Styles
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Communications
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Art History
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology