Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

on October 3, 2006
My wife has just discovered an interest in photography, and she has a natural eye for it, but was lacking the instruction necessary to become better at her own pace. All of my more advanced Photoshop and photo editing books (I'm a professional illustrator and cartoonist) have proven to be quite intimidating for her, as she was just looking to get started without being overwhelmed.

I recently bought her this book and she is thrilled with it. It doesn't treat her like a child and gives her real information she can use. We have a decent point-and-shoot digital camera, and she is looking to get a digital SLR after she learns more about photography. But it's great to see her passionate about digital photography and not so intimidated by it. This book has gone a long way to easing her apprehension.

This book manages to be funny and unpretentious as well as very professional and informative. I've bought a number of Scott Kelby's books and they always hit what they aim at. This one is no exception.

There are many, many digital photography books out there. Start with this one.
on December 28, 2006
As far as my knowledge of photography is concerned, I'd say I'm between a beginner and intermediate.

I've started reading other books on photography, but I've dropped them because they were boring, and I can't stand trying to understand visual things like exposure when there are no pictures to demonstrate what the author is saying. This book is not like that at all. There is at least one picture on every page, and those pictures sum up perfectly what he's been saying.

I can't read for extended periods of time, and I'm not a fast reader, but the night I received this, I read over 70 pages, and after that, I read it every free moment I had.

It's the best book I've ever read on photography, and I would recommend it without a doubt.
on October 20, 2006
Even if you're not a camera buff or photography wiz, you'll enjoy reading this excellent book. It's not over your head and is filled with excellent advice, put forth in a no-nonsense manner. At times even funny, this is an excellent book for amateurs and professionals alike. While I normally read fiction like THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, I picked this up on a whim--I'm not sorry and neither will you be.
on February 23, 2008
I enjoy photography and am exploring my first digital SLR camera. This book answered many of my current questions, and questions I hadn't thought of yet.

Each chapter tackles different topics like landscape photography, portrait photography, sharp pictures, printing, etc. Within each chapter, topics are covered on a single page including a sample photograph.

The book is an introduction to serious photography, addressing about 170 topics. It's very easy to read and understand. The author shows his sense of humour with oddball paragraphs and pages in the book. I enjoyed these diversions.
on December 23, 2006
I just received the book and really enjoyed going through the pages. Excellent book for someone who is just starting and wants to understand how to take pictures the right way. Very simple reading and most of all, the tricks in there are very easy to understand and do.

Thank you. Can't wait to order more books from this author.
on May 6, 2009
This book is a really easy read. I enjoyed some of the tips and samples, and the humour is great. If you're looking for really simple tips without any explanation [note that he does this intentionally], I think this is definitely a good choice. The writing style and organization was really clear and well-done, but unfortunately the information in the book sometimes verged on being of the "no-brainer" type. Overall, enjoyable...but a little simplified for my taste.
on December 7, 2012
This book has been great for me. It's to the point and has a tutorial approach which emphasizes on streamlining key tricks of the trade to achieve the desired results in a variety of situations. Works for me. Easy to read and perfect to re-read for specific DP projects. I bought Scott Kelby's 2nd and 3rd volume immediately.
I started to read other DP books and dropped them after a few chapters or skipped huge sections because they overemphasize on making sure every technical aspects are covered before your start playing. Many online articles can cover that with ease. Also, you kinda get the key principals as you go through pages. One page, one project (or photography situation.
With this book it's : Wanna do a portrait indoors? This is how you do it and these are the settings you should have and etc. It seems that it has been written to give hands on advice to make sure you can pull it out in most photography situations like you would call uncle Scott for targeted advice just before shooting. It's written around Nikon and Canon users, but, as a Soney NEX camera owner, I wasn't to lost when playing with recommended settings.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought my 1st digital SLR camera this year - a Pentax Km. I have always been a Pentax fan, starting from Pentax Super Program back in the 80s. It was difficult to make a transition to digital and when I did, I did it with digital point and shoot - a Pentax Optio W10 with 6 mega pixels in 2006. However, I felt ashamed of myself having only a 6 mega pixel camera when market was offering up to 10 mega pixel alternatives. However, I felt much better when the author advised that forget about mega pixels if you are not in printing, which I am not. Learning from the advice: If you don't use a particular feature of a camera, why bother paying extra money.

The author has a simple format for `friendly advice' on many an aspect of digital photography. The book is organized into sections so that you can easily flip to the chapter and to the specific page offering the tip. Come to think of professional tips, even for an experienced photographer like me, the book has many of them. After reading this book, I have begun carrying it in my camera bag while on a travel and photography trips and reference it every now and then. I feel like the author is standing right beside me talking about how to take care of a particular situation from the point of view of a digital SLR.

After reading the book, I went back to my previous hundreds of digital photographs and discovered that people and I had always liked those photographs the best where I had unintentionally done something in accordance with what the author advises.

The only limitation of the book, if that can be termed a limitation at all, is that the author talks only in terms of his Canon and Nikon. I have a basic Pentax Km (Canada and European designation, Pentax K2000 in USA). This did not bother me a bit, because I found all the features in my camera to my delight. I had not even discovered them before reading the book.
on January 12, 2010
I recently got my first DSLR (the Nikon D90) and found this book to be the perfect companion for it. I have glanced at a few photography books, but a glance was always as far as I got - they were often too boring, too long-winded and too focused on complicated theory. With 2 small children, my reading time is too brief and valuable to waste on huge intros and over-explanation!

This book helps me get the photos I want without bogging me down in boring theory. It also has some great tips for things like protecting your equipment. The short chapters get to the point quickly, and make a great book to pick up and put down easily. The author's humour also makes this an enjoyable read (even causing the occasional audible chuckle) - not often seen in a reference book!
on October 19, 2009
A "must have" for all digital photo enthusiasts. Scott Kelby's instruction style is entertaining, but more importantly, he takes you right to the answer for so many common photographic challenges that you immediately increase your skill-set by applying his material. This was worth much more than the jacket price!