Build powerful e-commerce applications using Django, a leading Python web framework
- Build all the components for an e-commerce store, from product catalog to shopping cart to checkout processor
- Build a high quality e-commerce site quickly and start making money
- All the examples in the book will run smoothly for all the versions of Django 1.x
- Follow a tutorial format to build many components from scratch while leveraging the open-source community to enhance functionality
Django is a high-level Python web framework that was developed by a fast-moving online-news operation to meet the stringent twin challenges of newsroom deadlines and the needs of web developers. It provides an excellent basis to build e-commerce websites because it can be deployed fast and it responds quickly to changes due to its ability to handle content problems. Django with its proven strengths is all you need to build powerful e-commerce applications with a competitive edge.
This book explores how the Django web framework and its related technologies can power the next leap forward for e-commerce and business on the Web. It shows you how to build real-world applications using this rapid and powerful development tool.
The book will enable you to build a high quality e-commerce site quickly and start making money. It starts with the ambitious task of using Django to build a functional e-commerce store in less than 30 minutes, and then proceeds to enhance this design through the rest of the book. The book covers the basics of an e-commerce platform like product catalogs, shopping carts, and payment processing. By the end of the book, you will be able to enhance the application by adding a fully-functional search engine, generating PDF-based reports, adding interactivity to the user-interface, selling digital goods with micropayments, and managing deployment and maintenance tasks.
Explore Django and related web technologies to learn how they can power the next leap forward in e-commerce and business on the Web
What you will learn from this book
- Leverage Django's strengths to build powerful applications quickly
- Employ Django Models and Views to create a product catalog
- Build a flexible categorization system to organize products
- Create XML templates for selling products through the Google Checkout API
- Employ advanced Django techniques like class-based and generic views, pluggable resources, and reusable applications
- Simplify the development process using community projects like django-registration and django-profiles
- Create fully-featured search engines to index and categorize a product catalog
- Create integrations with leading web services and technologies like JSON, Salesforce, Amazon Aggregated Payments, and jQuery
- Explore advanced Django and Python design concepts like class-based generic views and pluggable backends
- Utilize Django's storage backend to support content storage on Amazon S3
- Sell digital goods and media using Amazon's FPS micropayments service
Packed with code examples and configuration hints for related web technologies, the book helps you add a new feature to your store in each chapter. It also provides additional documentation and comments for popular web APIs.
Who this book is written for
If you are a Django developer and wish to build an e-commerce application, then this book is for you. You need to be familiar with the basics of developing in Django.