Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: DVDChange

on February 27, 2006
I was a huge fan of Doctor who has a kid growing up on Tom Baker. Towards the end of it's run though the show had in my view run out of magic and was a shadow of the Tom Baker ERA. With a terrible 1996 film version nailing the coffin into the series for good I never gave much thought to the possibility of a new series.
Skeptical as I was hearing that the show was being made again I decided to watch the show to see the beloved blue box travel through time. Indeed, I was curious. After watching the show on the CBC run it began to grow on me more and more. Gone were the laughable sets to a more sophisticated visually impressive slicker production.
More importantly though is the improved writing by Russell T. Davis who has made the best supporting character the show has ever had with the beautiful and exceptionally talented Billy Piper who unlike the damsel in distress is anything but in this series. The show Dalek which is the 6th episode in is the point where the show finds its true footing and begins to take off in political and social satire, the actors are in their groove and the show seems surer of itself. There are human stories here not the usual mania wants to destroy the universe repetitiveness of the older shows.
There is a lot of heart in this series and by the end of it I found myself truly caring about Rose and the Doctor.
The DVD has very clear picture excellent sound, and a lot of goodies sprinkled in like commentaries for every episode. There are 13 episodes here but in reality this would be the equivalent of 26 episodes for a normal half hour program in the old series. Each episode here is ~45 minutes. Add to this 14 segments of making of featurettes and 2-3 additional ones in each of the episode discs as well as a behind the scenes with the tenth doctor David Tennant who stars in the Christmas Special then it's a pretty fair deal.
Tom Baker is still king of the Doctors but Eccleston by the end is second best. The writing, overall cast performances, and effects are leagues better and more up to date than any I've seen from the old series. Episodes like Father's Day create genuine emotion that even a big tough guy like me had me go for a hanky.
on August 18, 2006
When I first saw Doctor Who when I was a small girl I hated it. Not so much the series, but the music! It was so scary. So I never really watched any of the episodes, although I do remember a long scarf! However, when I happened upon a repeat of the first new series: I was hooked. Fortunately BBC3 (I live in Europe) broadcast the whole new series with 2 episodes every evening: I stayed home for it! As soon as I had seen the first series, the second series was broadcast and repeated twice in the same week. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. It had me laughing at some of the funny one-liners and at times crying at the relationship between Rose and the Doctor. I bought the box-set (well, it was a gift from my sister), and have seen all the episodes at least 3 times now. Fantastic... The only thing that does bother me? The fact that the box in which the dvd's came was already damaged before I had completely unwrapped it. I have heard of this problem for the European release more often, I hope it is not the same in Canada.

Oh, and whatever the cost: It is soooooo worth it!!
on February 23, 2011
Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD)

First of all let me preface this review by saying that I never was the most avid Dr. Who fan. I would watch it, sure, but a lot of the cheesy effects really, really irritated me. I like some cheesiness, but some of those Dr. Who things were beyond ridiculous. I could have made better in my living room. So I was pleasantly surprised with the return of the series, which has just the right blend of cheesy and pretty darn good special effects, plots that range from good to great, and just enough humor to keep the whole thing in an official feel-good category. Russel T. Davies seems to have an endless supply of script ideas for the good doctor, who is ably played by Christopher Eccleston (I prefer David Tennant but Eccleston is just fine). The Complete First Season is a must for anyone who has an interest in the Dr. Who series--it explains a ton of later plot twists and in-jokes, even in later seasons. And all 13 episodes feature Rose, played by Billie Piper, the kind of girl everybody in the world wants to hang out with. The collector's edition has some great special features and behind-the-scenes info no Who fan in their right mind would miss out on. Pick this collection up, if you don't have it already. You'll be a fan of the good doctor's in no time. Beware the Daleks!
on June 9, 2013
There happened to be a marathon on TV, season 7. I like it so much I went and bought seasons 1 - 6, costly? Does it matter when it comes to finding a little enjoyment in life?

So I bought season 1 threw to 6, experiencing the different Doctors. Well I loved season 1, though I started out by seeing Matt, Christopher's style is a little different but still all of the plots are enjoyable, as well as the show it's self. And TBH I think I fell in love with Billie Piper.

But the stories are wonderful. Only bad part about it as the season one disc finished, there was a "next time" come up and it was showing a Daleks Invasion. Then it went to second season with a new doctor so I dunno what happened to that episode.

But yeah 100% enjoyment on this one.
on July 17, 2009
Doctor Who is awesome, I just started watching it one night in the middle of an episode and I was hooked... So hooked. Ordering the box sets is the only decent way to watch it in Canada though, CBC sort of fails us by showing it so late. I don't care what it cost it was worth it to buy from a reputable site.
on May 15, 2006
This set is wonderful; all of the new Doctor Who first season episodes as well as all of the new "Doctor Who Confidential" behind the scenes episodes (one for each new episode of the series). The new series is great; I will refrain from any spoilers here so that the viewer can enjoy it all personally. Needless to say this set is well worth the price, and a MUST for any fan of Doctor Who. The new series is everything a Who fan could hope and so much more beyond that. Now, anyone who reads this, GO GET YOURS!
on March 7, 2014
That's it, it's the greatest show ever.

The 9Th doctor is magnificent, and the stories are mesmerizing.

I've started to watch Doctor Who from this season, and I'm hooked to the Doctor since, you can start from there without watching the whole "classic" Doctor Who (but it's still à must to watch, nonetheless), and go one from there.

Only downside, when you're "up to date" with The Doctor, there's a great deal of waiting for the new episodes.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I admit that I decided to watch Doctor Who (season 1) as one of the ways to bond with my husband and to further understand his inner world. He is a Doctor Who fanatic and recommended that I watch the first season starring Christopher Eccleston (G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra, upcoming Thor movie) and Billie Piper (Secret Diary Of A Call Girl tv series) in order to help me get the message of the subsequent seasons. The series opens with the character of Rose unintentionally meeting “The Doctor” after an eerie encounter involving mannequins. Simon Pegg (The World’s End), John Barrowman (Torchwood tv series) and Richard Wilson (Merlin tv series) are among some of the celebrities who guest star in season 1 of Doctor Who. Simon Pegg features in The Long Game episode (#7), while Jack Barrowman and Richard Wilson first make appearances in “The Empty Child” episode (#9). Doctor Who (season 1) is great for those who are fine with watching science fiction television series involving time travel plots.
on January 31, 2006
I only sporadically watched (one of) the original versions of Dr Who in the 70s on TVO here in Ontario when I was still in primary school. I didn't care for it.
This latest version, however, exceeds all previous instalments of the series. The lead actors are great (although Billie Piper as 'Rose' can be a little to 'earnest' in her acting) and the effects and storylines take on a whole different level, keeping up with to-day's sensibilities.
To think it's a UK/Canadian production! Of course Canada is never mentioned in any of the storylines where as the US is all over the place (trying of course to potentially appeal to a lucrative US market).
$87.49 (plus tax), however, seems a bit pricey (expect it to be even more expensive in stores); there are only 13 episodes and this is a domestic release.
Regardless, the show is great and if you're a fan of Dr Who you wont be disappointed. Non-fans who are curious may wish to rent it when it becomes available, or buy it if they can find it for a considerably cheaper price.
on July 5, 2014
After 16 years of being off the air back in 1989; 9 years after the the movie attempt in 1996 and lastly 6 years after the beginning of the Big Finish Productions audio plays in 1999.(Which based on a 2013 prequel is now cannon I think it's safe to say) It's Back. Doctor Who Is BACK!... On TV that is. Gone is the 4 to 12 part serials of old; in it's place a more modern 45 min episodes / stories. Sometimes 90 minute episodes or stories if 2 parter; with updated Classic monsters and new ones. Chris Eccleston does a good job giving us a new and updated take on The Doctor. The show is kind of continuation / reboot in someways. As it still takes in to account the stories and actors that came before back in the 1960 and up Classic wise. which I find to be a huge plus in my book. The Companion is more real. Just 5 stars across the board. Must have for completists of Who and the 1st cycle. If if U not it's worth a look anyway.