- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Downs: The history of a disability Hardcover – Aug 25 2011
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"No one is likely to tell the story [of Downs syndrome] better than historian David Wright... David Wright's penetrating analysis has helped to inform numerous bioethical issues which stubbornly remain controversial in the twenty-first century." --Ian Dowbiggin, University of Prince Edward Island
"A fluently written account that offers an excellent historical introduction" --Lancet
"Downs: The History of a Disability is an elegantly written history of intellectual disability in general, and an admirable treatment of Down's Syndrome in particular." --Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
About the Author
Dr David Wright received his D.Phil. in Modern History from the University of Oxford and then specialised, as a Wellcome Trust post-doctoral fellow, in the history of medicine. He is currently a Professor of History at the Institute for Health and Social Policy, at McGill University. Dr Wright is the author and editor of six books on the history of mental health and psychiatry, including the first scholarly volume on the history of mental disability: (with Anne Digby, eds.) From Idiocy to Mental Deficiency: Historical Perspectives on People with Learning Disabilities (Routledge, 1996).
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Medical Books > History
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Science
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Special Topics > History
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences