I bought this game a day before it's actual release date and I must say it's a good game. The thing is, well, it's missing some important elements that made the previous game so good. I think in a way that this is Budokai 3 (not this game) over again. If you don't know to much of these games, I will give you a brief history. The 1st Budokai sold well, but the critics hated it (and some of the stuff in that game was kind of cheesy and bad.) so then a year later, the 2nd Budokai came out. The game was not only better than the first one but it had the memorable board game story mode (which was cool and kind of different since these games were mainly for fans of the series and didn't want to see the same crap over and over again) and the graphics were much better looking for the series. Then Budokai 3 came out. The graphics didn't change much and the battle system was kind of the same but went in a further direction to make it look more like the show. The board game story mode was taken out and replaced with the Dragon World (later seen in Budokai Tenkaichi 2) and when a cut scene came along, the characters more like talking heads before the battle started. Then the 1st Tenkaichi game came out and the battle system changed entirely. Unlike the other games before it, it was like Power Stone and a 3rd person shooter mixed. The game didn't have the skill capsules, so they were replaced with status upgraders and the characters had permenant moves. Sadly, this game had (for me anyways) some characters that had moves that totally suck A##! SS4 Goku's most powerful skill was the 10X Kamehameha Wave. So what was his regular move set? the 1st one was energy ball blasts and the other one was the explosive wave. SS3 Goku suffered the same fate as SS4 Goku. By the way your characters couldn't transform (you had to select a character and their form like if I picked Goku, I had to select his Base form or one of his Super Saiyan Forms). Story mode sucked too. It's like Budokai 1's story mode. Anyway to continue on, the 2nd Tenkaichi game was not only a massive improvement to the first one, it was Best of E3 runner-up of 2006 (Mortal Kombat Armageddon was fighting game of the year). Characters can transform, you can place status potoras (earrings) on your character and even level up the character. the Graphics were awesome, Story Mode was like Budokai 3's Dragon World mode. Character moves improved this time. A new Soundtrack was given into the game (instead of hearing the same crap from other previous games) the thing was their was so much to do in that game and not get bored with it for several Months. Then this game came out. I was so excited to play as GT little Goku and a bunch of other characters (Dr Wheelo is in this game by the way.). The move set changed slightly. the thing is that the story mode is more like Budokai 1 and BT1. That sucks. And it's to short, I am already at 65% of the story mode already.
Anyway here's the pros and cons of this game:
- GT Little Goku is here and other characters that didn't appear in the other games
- the power struggle (energy blast struggles) system is much better. In the 1st game it only had to be lasers, the 2nd game had both lasers and balls but they couldn't mix. in this game you can use your Kamehameha against the Big Bang attack and have struggles with it.
- SS4 Vegeta has a laser attack for both a regular and a super (Final Flash and Final Shine)
- new soundtrack
- pressing a direction and Square at the same time while performing an energy attack will make your attack stronger
- If you have a Budokai Tenkaichi 1 or 2 game save (I think this is how it happened) you get the same amount of characters that you got from the other 2.....Look in the con section
- Exp system gone and replaced by gaining levels to upgrade your potoras bar. so if I gained a level then that means i get an extra space. 7 is your maximum and some skills take up more than 1
- Story mode it awful (only good thing is that the battles for these chapters are looooonnnnnggggg! fewer chapters means longer fights Without a lot of loading)
- Dragon Points (which gain your levels for your characters) are tough to get
- cutscenes are lame (if you have 2 characters talking and then a 3rd will talk but doesn't come into the scene. You can hear voices in your head!)
- Big Characters can't be attacked by Speed rush attacks
- .....but some characters Like SS4 Vegeta or Goku from GT or even SS4 Goku aren't there as default characters. You still have to unlock them.
- 5 Gokus are a little too many but only because of A. base form gokus can have their own moves (There are Vegeta saga, Frieza/Cell Saga, Buu Saga, DB saga and of course, GT saga Gokus (GT is kid Goku)) and B. The Creators thought mabye this would be a wise idea so that they can have their customers (players) play a certain Goku that would be right for that saga. in other words, they don't want players to Transform into a SS3 while beating the crap out of Raditz (we've all done that before obviously).
This game is awesome but the 2nd one is just about as good. If you have no.2 and have the idea that playing as GT Goku is fun (like me) so you can eventually get 3, keep them both not only for the disc fusion system but also if you get sick of playing this game and want to start a new file in BT2, that can be a good thing. If you have just this one don't get BT2 and If you have no.2 but want to get no.3 rent it first because everything I put on this review is true. It's not that much of an improvement over the previous game. Also If you see this game in the store and looking at the 2nd or 3rd game at the same price (which rarely happens but sometimes it does) get this one or if you see the previous game 10 bucks less than this one just wait a little longer to get some more cash to get it.