- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
How Dysfunctional Families Spur Mental Disorders: A Balanced Approach to Resolve Problems and Reconcile Relationships Hardcover – Jul 1 2010
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"This thought-provoking book is a worthwhile contribution to the mental health field…Taking a strongly educative approach, Allen demonstrates caring and concern for readers as he leads them toward becoming more informed and discerning consumers and supporters of quality mental health care." - Choice
"It pulls the curtain back from the world of psychotherapy, psychopharmacology, and more. It is an informative and entertaining collection of the many facets of the field. I know that from time to time, I will be pulling this book back off the shelf to peruse a favorite chapter or two." - PsycCRITIQUES
"…supplies the reader with an in depth understanding of various dysfunctional family configurations…a great reference tool to add to your library." - The Clinical Practitioner
"All too often, mental health practice is being driven by downright bad science as well as conclusions that are being leapt to before all the scientific evidence is in. The result is treatment that does the patient a disservice. Dr. Allen does a superb job in sorting out what we really know, what is speculative, and what is completely bogus in the field. This volume is essential reading for both consumers and providers alike." (John Rosemond, family psychologist, Internationally syndicated columnist, speaker, and author of 14 best-selling parenting books, and The Diseasing of America's Children: Exposing the ADHD Fiasco and Empowering Parents to Take Back Control)See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Dr. Allen justifiably exposes drug company marketing techniques as well as dogmatic schools of psychotherapy and preaches a saner, more humane treatment system.
Well worth reading.
His review of the various approaches to understanding and treatment of "mental disorders", by showing how far off the mark trusted physicians were in the past, helps make his point that just because everyone seems to think they've got the answers, it ain't necessarily so. The human mind is far too complex for simple explanations offered by many.
Once a person is thought to have a mental disorder, the treatment begins, and it is here that Dr. Allen is at his best, showing in a tongue-in-cheek manner, how the pharmaceutical industry has sought to exploit people's weaknesses for profit. He'll make you pause and think about your doctor's possible silent agenda next time you receive a prescription even if it has nothing to do with your mental state of mind.
Dr. Allen's key objective is to help the reader better understand what can and can't help those with mental disorders related to family situations; without a guide to the sand-traps, it is tough to improve your score.
In my opinion, Dr. Allen's book is recommended reading for those seeking to help themselves, family or friends with mental disorders as it facilities understanding the problems and issues in a manner that is both friendly and easily comprehensible
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Mental Health
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Counseling > Couples & Family Therapy
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Pathologies
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Health
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Marriage & Family
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Psychiatry
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Mental Health
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Psychiatry
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Psychopathology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology