Eating for Pregnancy: A Practical, Healthy, Up-To-Date Approach to Cooking and Eating During Pregnancy That Works Great for the Entire Family Paperback – Mar 20 2003
There is a newer edition of this item:
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
Aiming to fill a gap in the market, Jones has collaborated with perinatal nutritionist Hudson to produce a volume that combines both recipes and nutritional advice aimed specifically at the mother-to-be. Delicately balancing optimum and unnecessary weight gain with the required dietary needs for a healthy lifestyle, Jones and Hudson also addresses the requirements of diabetic, vegetarian and vegan diets. After an introduction providing a summary of needs and goals, the authors start with breakfast and move through the usual soups, salads and mains before finishing with desserts. A full chapter is dedicated to the vegetarian diet, and at the beginning of each chapter recipes are highlighted to indicate that they conform to a vegan diet. Each section contains recommended pantry items for the recipes. Along the way Jones makes full use of convenience and semi-prepared ingredients to provide simple yet flavorful dishes, while Hudson doles out advice on vitamins, health hazards and goals. Each recipe is preceded with the nutritional goal for baby and mother-to-be and followed by tips for cooking, storage, health, special diets as well as complete meal ideas, variations and the approximate nutritional content. Appendixes on weight, sources of nutrition from calcium to iron and food safety round out the book. Despite the book's wordiness and repetition in places there is an overwhelming amount of information.
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
DURING PREGNANCY you will quickly realize that you won't get very far without something in your stomach-especially if you are suffering from morning sickness. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Top Customer Reviews
1. Omega-3 Oils (Fatty Acids). An incredibly important nutrient that was unfortunately missed out. The topic should have been covered with details on the complexity in supplements and the mercury issue, though this was covered in the fish section in general.
2. Peanut Butter. This is suggested in a number of recipes and the book does not cover the current belief that families susceptible to allergies (asthma, etc..) should avoid peanuts. This topic should be covered at least to let people decide for themselves as well as providing alternatives.
Also, I did find the fact that it assumed that the woman was going to be doing the cooking a touch out of date with my generation - neutralising the gender assumptions would improve the book.
Overall, I would give it three and a half stars if I could - but alas I cannot. I would recommend that people use this as a firm foundation, but also do your own research on sites like the FDA.
Most recent customer reviews
This is a wonderful cook book, even after pregnancy. The recipes are some of my husband and toddler's favorites - we particulary love the flank steak with salsa verde, bbq... Read morePublished on July 30 2003 by Melissa Alshab
When you have a baby you end up buying a million books and reading everything you can. When you have your second, as I just did, you only have time to read the most practical... Read morePublished on June 16 2003 by N. Kevorkian
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet > Healthy
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Special Conditions > Pregnancy
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition > Healthy Cooking
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Women's Health > Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Reproductive & Sexual > Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Health
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Obstetrics & Gynecology