Edgar Allan Poe's Annotated Poems Paperback – Oct 17 2008
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
There are no customer reviews yet on Amazon.ca
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
By John Smith - Published on Amazon.com
Format: Hardcover Verified Purchase
The text has numerous typos, and is even missing lines from some of the poems. The illustrations look as if they were ripped from the internet using a cheap, low resolution printer, and the typesetting was dreadful. I did get some small value from this book. For example, I did not know the meaning of the word "nepenthe," which the editor provides (it's a fancy word for "forgetfulness"). And I must admit that I liked how the editor organized the poems by category, as well as the fact that he included the work of some of Poe's colleagues; he also provided a decent presentation of Poe's life and influences. It's a shame, because Poe's work is deserving of a quality annotated edition, and this book is NOT it. I do think the editor had good intentions, and perhaps subsequent printings corrected the errors I mentioned, but I just can't recommend buying this volume. If you're looking for a decent copy of Poe's poetry, I recommend The Raven and Other Poems By Edgar Allan Poe, Illustrated, the 2011 edition published by Fall River Press.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Single Authors > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > 19th Century
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Poetry