Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is not your typical Quake game.
First off, if you`re looking for a deep, story based shooter, you won`t find it here.
Basically this installment in the popular series takes place between
Quake and Quake 2, where the Strogg are finally invading Earth after they finished their own wars on their home planet.
That is the only "story" your going to get.
First, the good:
1. Quake Wars shooting mechanics work great, forcing you to strategize and play as a team, if you don`t play as a team, YOU WILL LOSE.
2. Five different classes on each side, each with their own unique tools and abilities, aggressors/soldiers are heavy weapon specialists, and can plant explosives on objectives, medics/technicians can revive fallen allies, ETC., ETC.
3. The campaign and the multiplayer are both VERY objective based, you don`t have deathmatch, team deathmatch or capture the flag.
This may SOUND bad, but it`s actually a breath of fresh air in the genre.
Each map has certain objectives on each side that MUST be completed, constructed, defended, or destroyed, if you do ALL of the objectives and can`t get the last objective, you lose.
4. The teams, even though they are starkly different, are very well balanced, the Strogg have weaknesses the GDF can exploit and vice-versa.
5. You can only use your weapon you spawn with, now this may SOUND like a major pain, but this actually forces you to try different strategies, and use your abilities in that class to help your team.
And of course if your unhappy with your class you can always respawn as a different class, even a different team.
6. The AI here is very well done, enemy troops will hide, snipe, ambush,
complete objectives, and strategize, just like you would (clever little ducks)
7. Impressive multiplayer with good voice chat, although you will sometimes run into some idiots.
Now the BAD side of the game.
1. Campaign mode is basically multiplayer with bots, you can`t keep your achievments or rank, although you can rank up online and KEEP that rank.
2. Graphics don`t ALWAYS look the same, some maps are quite different in terms of texture.
3. The way your enemies fall after you shoot them is almost always the same, but this isn`t really a big deal
4. a couple of weapons on the Strogg side seem to be more powerful than the GDF equals.
5. it takes almost 2 seconds for missles to lock on, but you can get a reward unlocking faster lock-on.
6. once a spawn point is taken, it can be either VERY hard or VERY easy to take, I`ve waltzed right in to a spawn point and taken it with no resistance before.
7. The voice acting is ok, with your commander telling you what to do and where to go, but the taunts and cheers are more funny then serious.
Overall, Quake Wars is a great game and the good outweighs the bad.
It gives a very enjoyable experience for fans of the series and people who just want a good FPS.