- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Eudora 4.2 for Windows and Macintosh: Visual QuickStart Guide (2nd Edition) Paperback – Sep 21 1999
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Eudora Welty has plenty to say about why she lives at the P.O., but she might not have so much to say about her namesake electronic mail client. That's why Eudora 4.2 for Windows and Macintosh exists. In the grand tradition of the Visual QuickStart Guide books, this one documents Eudora Pro with heavy use of illustrations and explanatory callouts. The idea is that you can turn to the page that deals with whatever is vexing you at the moment (say, editing text or configuring a filter to dispose of spam) and read the instructions (some numbered, some straight prose) there. The instructions make frequent reference to the labeled screen shots on the same page, so there's rarely any doubt about what you're supposed to manipulate and when.
The author and publisher have earned kudos for clearly indicating which instructions apply to the Mac OS version of Eudora and which apply to the Windows version--the differences are significant--and yet still packaging the combined documentation as one volume. Eudora 4.2 for Windows and Macintosh also exhibits extraordinarily good page design values for a computer book--the spreads are pleasant to look at. A CD-ROM with the freely distributable Eudora Light would have been nice (it seems like every other computer book comes with a copy), but you can't have it all. --David Wall
Topics covered: Installing Eudora, sending and receiving messages, configuring mailboxes, filtering, using multiple personalities, and integration of Eudora with IMAP4 (as well as POP3) mail servers.
From the Back Cover
In just a few short years, email has gone from the domain of the technological avant-garde to a mainstay of business and personal communication. The leader in this competitive market is Qualcomm's Eudora. Whether you use the free, downloadable Light version, or the more feature-complete Eudora Pro, Eudora 4.2 for Windows and Macintosh: Visual QuickStart Guide is the easiest, most accessible way to learn this flexible cross-platform app. Though fully updated and revised, this edition sticks to the popular Visual QuickStart format: concise, step-by-step instructions, plenty of screenshots, and clearly tabbed, easy-to-browse sections. Beginners can start with basic but essential tasks, like writing and sending email messages. If you're familiar with the program, you can use the book to quickly refer to the new features and more advanced topics, such as customizing Eudora and working with attachments, filters, and address books. If you have Eudora 4.3, you'll find this guide very useful. Though it doesn't cover 4.3 specifically, there are very few entirely new additions in this upgrade. Platform: MAC WINSee all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
Engst covers both the Mac and the PC versions of Eudora 4.2 in the same book. Mac users account for 3% of the population, yet in the book, they're treated as if they're equal in number to Windows users: virtually every paragraph of text follows a structure of "Mac users do this..., Windows users do this". Whether you are a Mac user or a Windows user, it is difficult to absorb the material when you have to mentally train yourself to overlook or forgot inapplicable information.
Even the screen shots are schizophrenic: on a single page, one screen shot is usually from a Mac, another from a PC, and the third from a Mac again. Since Eudora has slightly different menus for its Mac and Windows versions, it's not always easy to follow the procedures.
I like Engst's writing style. I just wish he would have kept his Mac (or his PC - take your pick) out of it.
Next time, I hope the publisher releases separate editions of the book, or makes a command decision to limit coverage to one platform.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Apple > Mac Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Apple > Scheduling & E-mail
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > Macs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Networking
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Operating Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > Networks
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software > E-mail
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Operating Systems