- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide To Successful Meetings, Corporate Events, Fundraising Galas, Conferences, Conventions, Incentives and Other Special Events Hardcover – Dec 30 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
From the Back Cover
For event planners, there’s no such thing as a dress rehearsal!
Any event you plan and stage is a reflection of your organization’s image — from the initial invitation to onsite operations. Whether you’re planning a product launch, conference, sales meeting, an incentive event, or a gala fund-raiser, remember that the magic of a truly memorable event is in the details, but so is the devil. Whether your event is for 50 or 2,000 people, whether it has a budget of a few thousand dollars, or hundreds of thousands, it has to be perfect. Fully revised and updated, Event Planning, Second Edition, gives you a blueprint for planning and executing special events with flair and without any unexpected surprises and expenses. This unique book is loaded with practical advice on:
- Choosing the best venue
- Preparing and managing the budget, with sample costing forms included
- Scheduling, staffing, and collaborating with other related professionals
- Coordinating food and beverage, décor, entertainment, and themes.
It’s still the comprehensive guide that it always has been, but much has changed in the industry in recent years, and this new edition of Event Planning includes:
- Changes in security planning since 9/11
- Innovations in technology and how they can improve – or ruin – an event
- How to stage an environmentally friendly event
- New and updated examples and case studies of where things went right – and wrong
- Event Risk Assessment – What You Need to Consider before Contracting
- How keep your budget on target and where to find hidden surcharges
- Ways on how to ease airport stress and make air travel a pleasurable part of the participant’s event experience
- When and When Event Planners and their Suppliers will need Work Visas
- What you need to include in your client’s event history in order to design your next event so that it maximizes your client’s return on their event investment
- A companion website with downloadable versions of the checklists, additional forms and tools, author Q&A, and more at www.wiley.ca/go/event_planning.
What you don’t know or know to ask can have a major effect on the success of your event and on your budget. Event Planning takes you behind the scenes and through every aspect of organizing and executing a successful event: the planning stages, timing and logistics, budget preparation, operations, and on-site management, providing practical tools for anyone who has to plan and execute a truly special event:
- Corporate in-house event planners
- Public relations and communications companies, and their clients
- Marketing and corporate communications professionals
- Fund-raisers and not-for-profit organizations
- Professionals in the hospitality and entertainment industries.
- Business professionals in charge of planning and handling their company’s events
Praise for Event Planning
"Allen is a good teacher. Wise planners will add Event Planning to their personal reference library as a useful working guide."
—Meeting Professional Magazine
"A blueprint for executing events for 50 or 2,000, with budgets of a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands."
"Event Planning will save beginning event planners from plenty of heartbreak and headaches."
—Lisa Hurley, Editor, Special Events Magazine
"Event Planning gives readers a blueprint for planning and executing special events with flair. Consider the book as preventative maintenance."
—Sales Promotion Magazine
"A guide to well planned events. Event Planning is a must for any PR maven."
"This book will be a help to all event planners, from rank beginners to seasoned professionals. It provides excellent guidelines as well as helpful details."
—Katherine Kossuth, Director of Operations and Special Events, Canadian Film Center
"Sometimes a name just says it all. That's the case with the updated second edition of Judy Allen's Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide to Successful Meetings, Corporate Events, Fundraising Galas, Conferences, Conventions, Incentives, and Other Special Events. Allen not only delivers on the title's comprehensive promise, but also addresses changes in the industry since the first edition was published in 2000, such as the increased role of procurement and the growth of virtual events. Each chapter provides tips and sample checklists and outlines the paths to follow and the pitfalls to avoid in every aspect of meeting planning, from venue selection to on-site execution." —Corporate Meetings and Incentive Magazine / MeetingsNet.com
"I recommend that Judy Allen's book, Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide 2nd edition, become your Bible for approaching your next affair, whether it's a meeting, conference, incentive travel function or fundraising gala. My copy has highlighting on virtually every page. Yours will, too. After you've read this book (or one of ten others she's authored), you'll be an expert on creating unforgettable events your attendees will enjoy and remember for a very long time." —Dave Egan, Head Writer, Writers Direct Group
For downloadable versions of the checklists, additional forms and tools, author Q&A, and more, please visit our companion website at www.wiley.ca/go/event_planning.
See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book has some structure to it, and does build on previous chapters, but I find structure is ultimately this books greatest weakness. All of the necessary material is in there, but it's sometimes difficult to sort the information that has been given. I have had to go through the material a few times in order to be able to understand it. It can be frustrating.
Ultimately, I would recommend this book to anyone that needs a framework to build upon in the field of event planning. This book will give you all the information you need to get started.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book gets 5-stars. It is the best book about event planning in the market place today. We have been in the event planning business for 15-years and the author shows us some tricks and tips that we never dreamed of before. Not an inexpensive book, but worth every dime that you will pay for it. If I owned the rights to this excellent book, I would increase the size of the book to catalog size and spiral bind it so that is could lay flat when opened. I would also create a wide margin on one side of the page for user notes.
But all in all, a great guide to putting on an event.