Everglades Paperback – Aug 1 2007
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Suitable for both classroom use and independent research, this installment in the Our Wild World series provides an up-close look at the fascinating flora and fauna of the world-famous Everglades. Concise chapters examine the three surprisingly diverse habitats of this unique ecosystemsaw grass marshes, deep sloughs and gator holes, and tree islandsand the climate conditions that shape this wet, steamy world. Lynch, a nature writer, who took many of the photographs here, smoothly pairs engaging prose with numerous color photographs that capture the beauty of the region in both sweeping panorama and close-up detail. Alligators, of course, play a starring role here, but to his credit, Lynch infuses his accounts of other Everglades life-forms with equal allure. Inset boxes extend the main narrative, often highlighting the ways humans threaten the delicate balance of this ecosystem. The concluding list of further resources, may be too brief to fully satisfy the curiosity this polished, informative volume is likely to elicit. McKulski, Kristen --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Animals
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference > Reference
- Books > Children's Books > Science, Nature & How It Works > Environment & Ecology
- Books > Children's Books > Science, Nature & How It Works > Nature > Water
- Books > Education & Reference
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Technology