I had chronic lower back pain for over 7 years. This pain was RUINING MY LIFE - specifically my ability to do the things I love - more on that in a minute...
The short summary is - this book will teach you the current state-of-the-art medical science on "Human Pain" - how the human pain system works, how you can better understand and manage it, and how to move beyond your pain's ability to negatively affect or even dominate your life. This book, I believe, is mainly used as a "text book" by the authors, and their organization, to teach medical professionals all over the world about the latest medical knowledge of the science and application of human pain.
About me - I am 49 years old - and have played and competed in all of the traditional American sports my whole life - and I have also raced motorcycles, scuba dived, I snowboard and ski, snow shoe, run, weight train, ride and race mountain bikes... ALL of this had slowly come to a halt. My "active lifestyle" was finally catching up with me - or so it seemed. I could barely walk...I was in pain almost constantly - sitting, standing, walking... I was very very afraid that my life as I had known it was "over".
This book was recommended to me by a Physical Therapist at The Boulder Center for Sports Medicine, in Boulder Colorado - in response to my question "How can I get better educated about 'Pain' - how it works, and how I can better understand and deal with it?"
My PT recommended this book, "Explain Pain". I immediately went home and ordered it from Amazon. And then I took it with me on a 10-day vacation to Hawaii...
And here is what I did while I was there:
1. I "Speed Read" the whole thing - in probably 2-hours. I noticed the book was unusual - and intriguing - and it contained a LOT of information I had never seen or heard before.
2. Next - I read each chapter slowly and carefully - 1 chapter/day - and I highlighted, wrote notes and thoughts in the margins, etc. It is a truly fascinating read.
3. Because I REALLY wanted to learn and remember and apply the information presented - each day, before I read a new chapter - I re-read, fairly quickly, all the previous pages I had read, and reviewed my notes and highlights.
4. Finally - after finishing the book - I DID EXACTLY what the book recommends in the final chapter with regard to "moving forward with your life - healing and moving beyond your pain" - and IT WORKED. 100%. It really worked. These people are geniuses...
In addition to working for several months with a wonderful PT, and following her advice and doing all my exercises and stretches - I resumed ALL my previous activities:
- I resumed mountain bike racing - and had one of my best seasons ever
- I had my greatest season of snowboarding in 25 years - keeping up with, and somtimes outlasting, my 17-year-old daughter and her friends
- I can run, lift weights, snow shoe, sit, walk, stand, sleep... all 100% pain free. AND at a level that is stronger than I could do 10 years ago
I would recommend you buy this book if you suffer from ANY kind of chronic pain [physical OR emotional], get a good Physical Therapist/Trainer to support you - and use your new knowledge to help "heal" your pain, and dramatically improve your life.