Explorers: From Ancient Times to the Space Age Hardcover – Sep 1998
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From School Library Journal
Grade 5 Up-In a visually stimulating format, this set profiles 333 world explorers, including cartographers, merchants, navigators, botanists, archaeologists, treasure hunters, and astronauts. The alphabetically arranged biographies vary in length from one to several pages; succinct subheadings summarize and visually organize the clearly written text. A muted, gray sidebar introduces each featured explorer with a brief headnote and gives helpful definitions of terms appearing in boldface in the accompanying text. Well-selected, high-quality black-and-white portraits and maps abound. The sketches conclude with brief "Suggested Reading" lists of mostly inaccessible, out-of-print sources. Three lengthy introductory essays are of great value in their own right: "The Technology of Exploration," "Causes and Effects of Exploration," and "The History of Exploration." A section of color plates is included in each volume. The set concludes with a list of explorers by nationality, by geographic area of exploration (including space), and an extensive bibliography (entries marked with an asterisk are written for young adults). The "spirit of discovery" is alive here; this is a solid resource with considerable browsing appeal.
Mary Ann Carcich, Brooklyn Public Library, NY
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > History > Exploration & Discovery
- Books > Children's Books > Science, Nature & How It Works > Astronomy & Space > Aeronautics & Space
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > History > Historical Study > Reference
- Books > Science & Math > Astronomy > Aeronautics & Astronautics
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Guidebooks