Extreme Lo-Carb Meals On The Go: Fast And Fabulous Solutions To Get You Through The Day Paperback – Nov 10 2004
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Sharron Long is a mother of three and the author of other lo-carb titles. She writes articles and monthly columns for www.locarbeating.com
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Put it in the garbage.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book title says extreme lo-carb meals on the go. It is none of these things.
A lot of the recipes contain low carb breads, pastas and tortillas which is fine if you have no weight to lose.
The book promises fast recipes but tells you in the introduction that to the author fast means that the recipes can be cooked in less than an hour. Many of the recipes require that you prep ingredients in advance, the author calls "make ahead".
Many of the recipes call for expensive, hard to find substitutions for sugar, wheat, and syrups.
The only good recipes in the book, which were few and far between, I already had from free, online, low carb sites. (I saw two recipes out of the whole book that I would try and already had seen them online.)
A huge disappointment and I was very excited by the reveiws given so I thought this would be a good resource for me.
Save your money. Search online for the same recipes without the expensive ingredient substitutes.
Also some of the recipes arent "extremely low carb". One recipe was 10 effective carbs (ie. net carbs) per small serving and about 25 carbs total. My normal portion size was like 40 net carbs!
Being diabetic, I need to really watch my carbs. I thought this book was helpful for many reasons:
1. Snacking - I need to eat 6 times a day to keep my blood sugar stable. I need snacks. Sharon Long gives two lists of snacks. One is those under 5 carbs and the other is under 10. What I liked was that the lists were not just of acceptable low carb foods ( low carb veggies, cooked meat, etc) but were actual recipes of things like (5 carb) orange essence almonds, smoked salmon dip and (10 carb) pumpkin granola and nutty caramel roll ups.
2. Advice - The author discusses the truth about food bars, discusses ketosis and her experiences with both, talks about different types of restaurants and options you have, and gets real about handling cravings. Sure, most of this advice is common sense. However, the author tells it all from her own experiences as she has followed the low carb lifestyle for many years.
3. Set Up - The book is split into sections for breakfast, lunch, main courses and desserts. There are shopping list, smaple menus, sugar conversion tables, susstitution lists and other indexes at the end. I found the book to be very user friendly.
4. Nutritional Info - This is so very important to me in a cookbook. At the end of each recipe there was detailed nutrition info and the substitution to make the recipe low fat with that nutritional breakdown as well.
I think this book is simple and excellent for people who plan meals and do prep work for the week. Recipes are easy to prepare and many can be made in batches for the week. Any specialty items are listed in the back and can be found in most health food stores. While a bit expensive, they are sold in bulk and last for a very long tie after the initial purchase. I highly recommend this book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Quick & Easy
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet > Healthy
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet > Low Fat
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements > Woodworking
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Low Carb
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Special Conditions > Low Carbohydrate
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Special Conditions > Low-Fat Diet
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition > Healthy Cooking