Family Life in a Northern Thai Village: A Study in the Structural Significance of Women Paperback – Jan 31 1980
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Potters study is highly readable and will be of interest to the general public as well as to scholars. -- Asian Student
The dynamic interplay between the structural dominance of women and the ideological dominance of men is vividly brought out, challenging earlier . . . perspectives. -- Population and Development Review
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I have been married a beautiful northern Thai girl for 38 years. I also have a graduate degree from a well known Thai University. I am therefore familiar with Thailand and Thai culture. Unfortunately, Thais often accept how things are done but not why. There's a need to look beyond what is said and how things exists. This book does a great job doing just that.
As an example, I discussed with my wife that newly married Thai couples moved to the brides home and supported the wife's family. She told me that's old fashion and not modern. But when I looked around her brothers all live next to their wife's family and her sister's all live next to her family. Her father had come from another province, whereas her mother family can trace their village history many generations.
This books has helped me understand and appreciate many everyday things as hey exist in the northern Thailand. Now, I need to master the Lanna Thai language.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > History
- Books > History > Asia > Southeast Asia
- Books > History > Asia > Thailand
- Books > History > Gay & Lesbian
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Social Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences
- Books > Travel > Asia > Thailand