The phenomenon of "fan favorites" always seems a bit dubious to me, just another marketing strategy. But CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount recently conducted a Facebook poll on seven of its popular classic programs (Cheers, Happy Days, Frasier, The Odd Couple, Hogan's Heroes, The Honeymooners, and MacGyver) to determine what would be included on these Fan Favorite DVD releases. These are no-frills editions for only the most casual viewer (each of these shows is readily available in complete seasons and/or series editions), so if you already own the previous, and more complete, releases--this really adds nothing to the discussion. These bargain priced entries, therefore, might appeal to newer viewers who wish to sample a program or to someone who just wants a few episodes of their favorite show for those rainy days with nothing better going on.
However, as the number of episodes and which ones are not being provided (as of 2/28/12), I thought I'd give a rundown to the interested parties about what is included on each DVD set.
Cheers: In Dolby Digital English Stereo with English SDH subtitles
(1) Give Me a Ring Sometime (Pilot: Season One, Episode 1): A jilted Diane meets the Cheers crew for the first time and Sam, despite his better instincts, offers her a job.
(2) Diane's Perfect Date (Season One, Episode 17): Sam and Diane agree to set up blind dates for one another and disaster ensues.
(3) Pick A Con, Any Con (Season One, Episode 19): This won the Facebook poll as favorite episode. When Coach is swindled, the crew hatch a plan to get his money back.
(4) Abnormal Psychology (Season Five, Episode 4): A pushy Diane works to put Frasier and Lilith together.
(5) Thanksgiving Orphans (Season Five, Episode 9): A Thanksgiving potluck is held at Carla's new home.
(6) Dinner At Eight-ish (Season Five, Episode 20): When Sam and Diane are invited to a dinner party with Frasier and Lilith, the evening becomes a night of psychological warfare.
(7) Simon Says (Season Five, Episode 21): Sam and Diane find out they are mismatched after a couples counseling session.
(8) An Old Fashioned Wedding Parts 1 & 2 (Season Ten, Episode 25 and Episode 26): It's the Wedding Day of Woody and Kelly and the crew offers its services for a night of secrets and revelations.
Of course, I love Cheers. It is easily one of the best shows on television and these are some very good episodes. However, I think the show in context will always be stronger than randomly selected episodes. KGHarris, 2/12.