Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

on April 26, 2004
I don't normally write reviews for the books that I buy, but I decided to write one for this book because I liked it so much. I really liked how the information was presented with the martial artist in mind. I train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and it was an nice change to read a book on diet and nutrition that didn't assume that I was trying to build 22 inch arms or that I was a desk job jockey that could live on 1000 calories. For the first time, I understand what my needs are as far as calories, Proteins, Carbohydrates and Fats. I liked the fact that the book looks at your fitness level and bodyfat % and takes those into account. This is a really good book and I am glad I bought it.
on January 12, 2004
This book is a real treasure chest of knowledge. There is so much information in it that I re-read it several times already just to make sure I didn't miss anything. The authors write clearly and to the point about both nutrition and martial arts training but with a sense of humour that brings the book to life. They speak from personal experience and don't shy away from pointing out how they learned important lessons the hard way, by doing it wrong first.
But what makes the book even more interesting is how they cover all aspects to the topics and try to give you complete information. This is in contrast to most other books of this kind, where so-called experts fill their pages promoting their diet or trainingsystem as the ultimate truth while dismissing all other possibilities as frauds. The Fighter's Body is not like that. If you want solid information you can rely on, you can't go wrong with it.

If you are a beginner or have been training in the fighting arts for a long time, you will find crucial information to not only become better at your art but also how to stay good at it and in peak condition throughout your life. No matter if you train just for fun or are a competitive athlete, you will learn something from this book. A must have for any martial artist. Highly recommended.
on December 21, 2003
I've been training in the martial arts for six years and have collected several martial arts books (about 50), many by Loren Christensen. In a word, The Fighter's Body is great! Not only is it informative on so many different levels, but it's funny, too. I recognize Christensen's humor from his other books and as always, it comes when you least expect it and it's sometimes laugh out loud funny.
Most importantly, the suggestions have been working for me. I first tried the suggestions for improving my energy for training, especially increasing my carbs and eating less heavy foods. From that first training night on, I have been filled with energy that lasts my entire two hour work out sessions. Then I tried the authors' post workout eating plan and found that I recuperated much faster than I had been.
The Fighter's Body is packed with tons of stuff, much of which Ive tried and have found to work like a charm. RIght now I'm following their weight training plan to add five pounds of muscle so I can step up to the next weight division.
I love the book and reference it often.
on October 18, 2003
Expert martial artists Loren W. Christensen and Wim Demeere expertly collaborate in The Fighter's Body: An Owner's Manual, a straightforward guide to diet, nutrition, exercise, and pursuing health in order to improve one's overall quality of life in general and optimum condition for the practice of martial arts in particular. A range of thematically appropriate issues is covered including diets to avoid, staying hydrated, forming a balanced eating plan, solid strategies to follow when either losing or gaining weight, long-term health strategies, and more comprise this straightforward and "user friendly" self-improve-ment guide which is especially commended to the attention of all martial arts students and practitioners.
on September 24, 2003
The Fighter's Body reinforces everything I have found in my own studies about exercise and nutrition, and is one of the better books on the subject. It reads like a story in layman's language, and gives you a good overview of diets and nutritional needs especially for martial artists. The book also answers questions you may have about supplements, and explains how to read food labels and what to look for when buying sports drinks, nutrition bars, and other supplements. The "Fast Facts" at the beginning of each chapter give you a quick overview and motivate you to want to learn more. If you want to know how to fuel your body to fuel your techniques, this is a great book.
on August 26, 2010
Really good book. Very informative in terms of nutrition. I found that I wasn't bored reading it and the authors included many personal experiences throughout their careers detailing the pros and cons of different training methods and diets. I have always been able to eat primarily healthy but this book showed me how to eat properly to aid my martial arts training. I have seen many nutrition books, website, brochures, and so on but this book really breaks down a good guideline for what to eat and how much to eat if you would like to lose, gain, or maintain weight while training without going hungry!

Hands down, this book is worth it!
on January 2, 2004
I find this book an excellent point of reference for all my questions on nutrition in relation to my martial arts work-outs.
The Fighter's Body is easy to read, practical and written with a dash of humor. It is also very well structured which allows you to go back to parts you've read before and look up specific topics. The illustrations clarify and support the practical nature of the book.
Remarkable is however the complimentary writing styles of both authors.
on April 4, 2004
This book gives basic nutrition information for martial artists and explains how the food you eat affects your training and competition performance.
It also includes information on how to develop a long-term training plan, how to lose 5 lbs in 10 days or 10 lbs in 21 days using a safe method of calorie control and exercise, and provides tips on maintaining a mental "will to succeed."
on January 12, 2011
In short, this book could have been a very usefull starting point for me 15 years ago. It's an easy read and offers many simple steps to get on the right track when new to trainning seriously. I was hoping for even more information, more detailed and advanced research. It is what it is. Had this book been advertised as a begginer read, I would have passed it up.