countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 21, 2016
I really liked this series. I know there is another one, but it is more of a companion, if I'm not mistaken, so I am going to read that next. I actually think this ending was better than the one for The Raven Cycle. I didn't mind the bit of the open-ended-ness because it allows us to decide for ourselves what happens to Grace and Sam at the end. I also think having a concrete answer would have ruined the mythology a bit for me.

Stiefvater's writing, as always, is perfect. I love how engaging her writing is and how descriptive and beautiful. I thought she really fleshed out the series in this one and made me really happy. I definitely understand why this series was the breakout for Stiefvater because it is magical. The writing really draws you in and makes you feel as though you are running through the woods with wolves. You're basically Kevin Costner.

I still really like Grace and Sam as individuals. I also like their relationship but whenever she talks to her parents I'm just like "no bby no." I still think they were rushing into things and I definitely rolled my eyes when Grace was like "I don't know what to say to Sam" and then ten seconds later said to him, "Want to get married?" I was confused by the 180 there. And then their relationship just went downhill from there for me. I did get pulled back into them when they were wolves together at the end, but it still almost wasn't enough for me. But individually, I REALLY enjoyed them. I liked that Grace wanted to finish school and go to college. I liked that Sam wanted to take care of the wolves and work in the bookstore. I liked that they both had their own dreams that semi-overlapped with one another. I just couldn't get there with some of the other things they discussed.

I also really liked Isabel. I mean, she was the best character in this series. I was really glad that she was a part of this story. I just felt like she was only around when someone else needed something. I felt like she was under-utilized until the very end and even then it wasn't enough for me. I needed more Isabel (and less Cole). Because honestly, Cole didn't do it for me. He took a lot of risks that weren't necessary. I liked that he was science driven and realized he didn't want to die. But I just didn't get it. I don't get the appeal. At all. And every time we were in his POV I wanted to skip ahead.

There were also a lot of other things that happened in this one that just kinda felt out of place. I understand that the police probably would suspect Sam but it felt like it was thrown in there last minute and not really developed in a way that made sense. It also ... went away pretty easily. A lot of things that were introduced either in the late part of the last book or the beginning of this book were easily cleaned up at the end and that was meh to me. But I am okay with the overall ending of it, so I wasn't too hung up on this.

I highly recommend this series! The mythology is SUPERB and I have discussed it in both of my reviews for Shiver and Linger so I don't feel the need to restate it here. If you are looking for something a little different in terms of werewolf mythology, check out this series!
on September 23, 2011
NOTE: You need to read the first two books in this series, SHIVER and LINGER, before you read FOREVER, in order to understand the story.

The tables have turned. Now, Sam is the one waiting. Even though waiting for Grace to return to human form is torture, it is nothing compared to the agony he feels when he thinks about the danger she is in while running loose in the woods. Mr. Culpeper has wanted the wolves in Mercy Falls dead ever since his son was killed by them. After a girl is found torn apart in the woods, Culpeper has just the ammunition he needs to get his wish.

While Grace is Sam's priority, he also has the added responsibility of saving Beck and all of the other wolves. Sam and Grace attempt to come up with a plan, while Cole St. Clair, ex-lead singer of NARKOTIKA and newest pack member, takes dangerous measures to find a cure for the disease infecting his pseudo-family. With the help of Isabel Culpeper and a very unlikely ally, the wolves finally have some hope.

FOREVER has it all - heartwarming romance, angry teen rebellion, and dry, witty humor. It made me laugh, cry, and stress in all the right amounts. FOREVER is the final book in the WOLVES OF MERCY FALLS trilogy. It provides the reader a satisfying ending, while still leaving enough room for us to wonder about the future of the pack.

Maggie Stiefvater has given readers a wonderful story in this trilogy. If you haven't read them yet, run, run, run to the store and get them today.

Reviewed by: Karin Librarian
on September 2, 2011
I of course re-read the first two books, Shiver and Linger so I'd know where I was. Sometimes I forget the little details after so long, and when I love a series this much, I want to make sure I know every little reference the author refers to. I hate guessing.

I loved this book. I found the writing got better somehow, and pulled me in even more. I wish, wish, wish, and wish some more that there had been more on Cole and Isabel! I wanted so much to happen, but it just didn't. There was so much damn potential for a great story there. I guess there was only so much Ms. Stiefvater could concentrate on in a book that size. I think Cole and Isabel could have been there own series.

But anywho, on without the whining of wanting more, I'm clearly not going to get it. I found this book left a lot... I mean ... a lot, of unanswered questions. I guess I will have to just think what I will. And, I know it's such a small thing... really it is. But I wish Grace would have got her red coffeepot. Somehow, someway, I wanted to see her get that stupid coffeepot (it was talked about so much). But I guess if that's all I've got to complain about, then there really isn't anything to complain about. Great book; I still loved all the characters and everything that happened. If you've read the first two books and liked them, of course it's not even a question. You should be reading this last instalment. Does anyone else think the ending left too much to the imagination? I didn't get enough closure!!! ;0)
Maggie Stiefvater's tales of winter werewolves have always been far more striking and poetic than any other werewolf books I can think of. And she brings the story of Grace and Sam to a close in "Forever," a hauntingly bittersweet, sumptuously-written coming-of-age tale with a somewhat flawed finale.

Spring has returned Grace to her human form, but she's still unstable -- she keeps turning back into a wolf and running into the woods. Sam has spent the whole winter waiting for her, despite the people of Mercy Falls thinking he's a budding serial killer. And Cole is hotly pursuing a cure for lycanthropy, using himself as a guinea pig.

However, Sam and Grace's idyllic reunion is ruined by another death -- another girl is found savaged by a wolf (pretty obviously Shelby). Isabel's father arranges for the wolves to be exterminated (with HELICOPTERS), leaving the teens only a few days to lead the wolves to safety. Otherwise, Grace may be among the dead.

Maggie Stiefvater is one of the rare young-adult authors who has lyrical, hauntingly lovely writing. Fragmented thoughts arrange themselves into minimalist poems, and mundane situations take on the delicate crystalline quality of a romantic dream ("it was just me, broken into pieces, slivered like glass, made into something new").

"Forever" centers on three important subplots -- the need to save the wolf pack from Isabel's revenge-obsessed father, the quest for a lycanthropy cure (especially for Cole), and the teenagers shedding their childhood problems as they prepare to set out into adulthood. The story drifts along between these three subplots, with some bloody, tightly-paced action scenes (like the grand finale) woven in.

And her characters are just as brilliant as her writing -- four troubled teenagers, who are breaking away from their pasts and their weird parents. Grace and Sam settle into an idyllic little world of their own, but are haunted by the hostility towards Sam and Grace's feelings about her parents. And Stiefvater spends a lot of time focusing on Cole and Isabel's tumultuous relationship, as Cole goes all brilliant mad scientist.

One problem: the ending is rushed. Isabel, Cole and Grace take dramatic actions that seem like they should have massive consequences... but they don't. At all. Shouldn't Isabel's dad be having a rage-induced stroke or something?

The payoff feels rushed and a little incomplete, but otherwise "Forever" is a striking, romantic little finale for Stiefvater's brilliant trilogy. This is everything "Twilight" failed to be.
on August 2, 2011
I have loved this series from the beginning. Shiver, book one in The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy was one of the first YA (Young Adult) books I ever picked up and read. I had no use for Twilight Saga at the time (but after Maggie I did try more YA novels, including Twilight) and I really had no interest in books aimed at teenage girls. I had been there, done that already, and I wasn't a fan of those kinds of books. I soon came to realize that books aimed at teens nowadays are a lot different than the books that were aimed at teens when I was a teenager...which was about two decades ago now. Man I'm old...

As much as people say don't judge a book by it's cover, I have to admit I was drawn to Shiver by it's cover.

You see, I adore wolves. Actually adore might be too light a term, slightly obsessed might be more accurate. That lonely little silhouetted wolf on the cover, in blue tones, with the title Shiver...well that's what I did...I shivered. I tuned the book over and the blurb immediately captured my attention.

I have great memories of a time spent at a friend's house who had wolves wander their property. I often imagined what it would be like just to sit there and watch them. I knew after reading that blurb I just had to read the rest of the book. The final prize was opening to the first page and seeing the beautiful blue font the book was printed in. The whole book was just a complete piece of artwork. I was sold.

Linger, the second book, pulled me deeper into the woods. With it's green cover and green print it was another piece of artwork beautifully done. I have a review of Linger on my blog if you are interested in reading my thoughts on it.

And that brings us to Forever. What a great title for the end of such a wonderful series.

I actually had to take some time after finishing the book to reflect on my feelings of the book, and the series overall. At first I wasn't entirely sure if I was happy with everything, but in the end I admitted I mostly like how the author tied things up. There could have been more, but it could have been much worse as well (knowing how Maggie likes to torment and torture her readers - as she has admitted personally). It was a bit too open to interpretation, but at least it wasn't a horrid cliffhanger.

As is always typical in Maggie's books, the language and writing style is stunningly beautiful, like lyrics, like poetry, just flowing on the pages. Her wolf imagery is so realistic, and after hearing her speak and reading some of her recommended wolf titles I see she put in many hours of research on the topic. As I have mentioned before I am quite obsessed with wolves and love when authors can pull them off well. I hate when they fail miserably. Maggie Stiefvater and Kelley Armstrong are the two writers who I feel write wolves very well (realistic).

The realistic nature of the wolves, and the people who fear them, becomes even more frightfully alive near the end of the book. I literally held my breath through the last 20 pages or so. When it was all over and I had closed the book I noticed I wasn't breathing, my chest hurt, and my heart was racing. Yes, it was that emotional for me.

I was very happy to see more depth added to Isabella and Cole's characters, and their connection to each other. I felt they were sidelined way too much in the previous novel. It was also interesting to see Sam and Grace's relationship flipped around as Sam was sat waiting around and worrying in his human form as Grace frolicked in the wintry woods.
on July 19, 2011
***May contain spoilers***

For the last few years Sam and Grace have occupied a large part of my heart, they are most definitely one of my most favourite YA couples and I have always rooted for their happy ending, however I must admit that when I first started reading this book and saw that they did not play as large of a role in it than they had in the previous books I wasn't as heartbroken as I had thought I would be. Why would that be? Because of Cole. While in the previous book he was totally swoon-worthy with his bad-boy behavior he was even more so swoon-worthy in this book because he showed a completely different side of himself- a gentle, caring, and selfless side- while still maintaining his trademark sarcastic edge.

In the parts that Sam and Grace were the focus of the story you couldn't help but experience the emotional turmoil that they were feeling alongside them. From Grace transforming back to a human and trying to remember who she was- let alone remembering who Sam was, Sam frantically trying to find the now-human Grace before the cold took her away from him once again,and the realization that no one was safe with Jack Culpeper in town.

What I also loved also appreciated about this book was how humorous it was, when you were in the pits about the Grace and Sam situation, someone would come along (usually Cole) and do something to really uplift your mood- for instance, all of the voicemails that Cole left on Isabel's answering machine, Sam and Cole bonding as Cole tried to teach himself how to play guitar, Isabel and Cole dancing around the kitchen, and Grace bugging Sam when he was in the shower.

I think that my largest complaint about this book was the ending. I am the sort of person who needs an epilogue that spells everything out for me (for instance in the epilogue of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" we find out which characters married one another, their occupations as adults, their children's names, etc.), I hate things that are left up in the air, and therefore not knowing what truly happens to the characters, specifically Grace, eats me up inside (especially when taking into consideration that THIS IS THE LAST BOOK IN THE SERIES! *Fingers crossed that Maggie extends the series a la Cassie Clare and her "Mortal Instruments" series, or that she writes a spin-off a la Richelle Mead with her "Vampire Academy" and "Bloodlines" series).

All in all, aside from the little problem I have with the ending of the book, I think that this is a perfectly written finale to such an amazingly emotional series. I highly recommend this series to anyone who has yet to read it, I don't think that you will be disappointed with it one bit!
on December 2, 2012
I'm so glad this book did not end up being like another Twilight series (I still do not understand what the hype is on the Twilight series). Shiver, Linger, and Forever are very well written and I found it so hard to put down the books once I started. The ending I felt wasn't as bad as the rest of the reviews say. It wouldn't have been an easy fix for the wolves to miraculously cure themselves and go back living a regular life. However, as the others have said, I definately would have enjoyed a few more chapters on Isabel and Cole =). Overall a great read. The trilogy has even motivated me to write my first book review. Very highly recommended
on October 23, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed the story, and felt it was well balanced...except for the fact Grace was running around as a wolf for a good part of the book. But the end is just crap. I am sorry, but this is not satisfying in the least, and I hope Maggie at least releases a short story or something on her website to fill the void. I can not believe I went through all that to get dealt that. Just sayin'.
on November 2, 2011
spoilers!
i loved the serie (i finish in like two weeks) but, i would haved like that the ending was different. i would haved like for sure that grace and sam and cole and (don't remenber her name) would be togother for sure at the end.
anyways, before you read this book, you need to read the first two books (shiver and linger).
hope this help!
on October 14, 2013
I really liked the first two books in the series but had trouble getting into this one. It seemed glum & failed to catch my attention. Perhaps the story should have ended after the second book? just seemed like a weaker version, as if the author had also grown tired of the story. Regardless, I look forward to reading other books by this author.