Friday the 13th is, without a doubt, the best horror series of all time. To date, the original 1980 film has spawned nine direct sequels and one horror deathmatch, Freddy vs. Jason. The franchise has grossed over $250 million worldwide. And finally, the first eight films are available on DVD in one complete, reasonably priced, box set with DVD extras. This one box set will bring you over 10 hours of non-stop gore mayhem plus a slew of extras that would make any fan drool in their seats. Here's a breakdown of the films without giving too much away:
1) Friday the 13th - 7/10 - Here's where all the mayhem begins. Camp Crystal Lake gets written into the horror books, and the murder of camp counselors begins. While Jason is not the original killer, it's still a classic, and is one of the most successful of the series.
2) Friday the 13th Part II - 7/10 - Finally we get some Jason action in here. Murders contine at Camp Crystal Lake, with a fantastic ending. A pretty solid sequel, with more of the same.
3) Friday the 13th Part III - 8/10 - Jason dons his trademark hockey mask for some great slaying. Kids make a getaway to Camp Crystal Lake only to find the manical killer waiting for them.
4) Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter - 10/10 - While not really the final chapter of the series, its arguably the best film. Don't want to spoil this one for you, so I'll shut up.
5) Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning - 5/10 - I like this film more than most reviewers do, but its still probably the weakest in the series next to Part VIII. The film has an unexpected turn, which you'll have to watch to find out. You'll then know why this film doesn't quite live up to its breathren.
6) Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives - 10/10 - The series returns from the doldrums of Part V to a fantastic film. Tommy returns to Jason's grave, only to bring him back to life... and boy is Jason pissed.
7) Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood - 9/10 - Tina is a troubled girl with strange telekinetic abilities. She accidently raises Jason from the depths of Crystal Lake to unleash the killer on a neighboring cabin full of teenagers.
8) Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan - 6/10 - Jason hops on board a boat filled with teens headed for New York City... mayhem ensues. While not the pinnacle of the series, its still good for a scare.