Good God... what am I doing to myself by watching this nonsense?! I mean, really-is this 'blood' really all that new?! Looks pretty much like the same stuff I've seen in the past six go-rounds. You know, stuff like:
- The opening sequence that refers to the events of the past sequels, thereby giving the viewer a quick update before the opening credits roll,
- A group of teenage-to-early-twenty-something types who you know are doomed from the get-go,
- A deadly skinny-dip scene,
- Several kills that reflect the 'Friday' franchise's philosophy of Sex and/or illicit substance use leading to the deaths of the people partaking in such activities,
- Jason tryin' out an array of various hand tools on his victims, as well as other items of convenience (including tent stakes, a motorized weed-whacker, and even a party-favor horn),
- An overall lack of genuine scariness, with most of the kills generating more laughs and groans of disappointment than screams of fright.
- Yadda-yadda-yadda and so on and so forth.
But what's a re-hash without a sad attempt at injecting a little freshness into the mix? That's where our psychokinetically-gifted heroine and her manipulative therapist comes in. Of course, the whole head-case deal was done to death (so to speak) in Part V, but this time the protagonist can actually manipulate stuff with the power of her mind! Which she does of course in the final face-off against undead Jason, which culminates in quite possibly the most illogical and nonsensical ending a 'Friday' flick's been saddled with! Man, was that (anti)climactic moment sad. 'Course, it's not quite as sad as my decision to check out Part VIII! I'm SICK I tell you! SICK!!!
On the upside, the crew did some pretty good make-up appliance effects on Jason here. Ya got'cher exposed bones, rotted-looking flesh, the works. He'd have been right at home in those 'Living Dead' flicks, lemme tells ya...