Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 13, 2016
There is a reason why this book is so famous! It is easy to read, and Carnegie has a knack for illustrating his point beautifully. It really goes into detail about how to get good responses from people, and how to make people want to be around you. If you have trouble with "rubbing people the wrong way" frequently, this is the book for you.

After a few chapters it becomes really clear that you get what you give, and it is definitely worth the read. I wish schools would have this as part of their curriculum! A parent who can pass on this knowledge to their children (and learn from it themselves) is one who can really influence their future happiness and success.
on December 15, 2013
I bought this because of people I know who have read it and gone onwards to successful business positions and because of the many reviews indicating that this book was the cause of improvements in careers. I don't know whether that will be the case for me.
The book is good. The language and examples are somewhat dated, which is not unexpected, but not so dated to sound irrelevant. I do believe that the lessons provided throughout the book are useful in daily interactions with other people, but many of them are fairly intuitive - don't criticize, admit your errors, etc.

Some of the advice would be useful to pretty much anyone who deals with other people in any capacity, if not in work, in home life, or in other social situations, or with customer service people we encounter. On the other hand, some of the advice lends itself better to people who work in a capacity as a leader over subordinate employees.

The kindle edition of this is easy to read but there are a number of typos and weird paragraph breaks - I'm not sure if these are also found in the printed text or not. Either way, they don't make it unreadable.

I probably will try consciously to put some of the practices that Carnegie espouses into action and see how it goes - I don't doubt that if practiced consciously and with dedication, my relationships likely will improve. Overall I'm giving this three stars because while it does provide good advice and it's always worth being reminded of ways to improve our interactions with others, most of it we would probably already know. That said, the book was $0.99 on kindle, so why not give it a chance?
on November 24, 2014
I purchased this when I was trying out a home business, but I did not find it much good.

I have always been honoust, kind, look people in the eyes when talking and a good listener and that is basically what it comes down too.

If you try to manipulate a friendship or customers unless your a good actor, people see right through it and will not trust you, just the opposite of what you want
on January 6, 2016
I've known about this book for ages but never actually sat down to read it. Now I can understand why How to Win Friends & Influence People has sold so many copies and is a mainstay for a lot of personal libraries. It's easy to learn and understand the lessons within this book by how Dale Carnegie provides plenty of example situations where each has proven beneficial. It's crazy that this book was written so long ago; it still holds up to today.
on December 12, 2010
In my humble opinion the best self-help book ever published along with `Think and Grow Rich' of Napoleon Hill. I must confess that I don't like the title (which I believe sends the wrong idea), but Dale's insights are real, and you just have to put it into practice. While some critics think that it's manipulative, I believe that Dale's insights are nothing more than careful observations of the human mind and behaviour - in other words, the rules of the game. If you pay attention to it, you will understand yours and other people's nature. Applying it will not only help you to be more successful in your life but also how to become a better person. You will see that most of the things that you are suggested to do are simply things you wished others were doing to you. Thus, the book is not about how to coerce others to do things that they don't want. In contrary, it is about principle, balance and respect. Dale instructs you that just with a little bit of consideration, all parts can gain and you could still have your ideas/wishes going through.

What follows are the books' 6 major sections and core points. Keep it close with you because, although simple, they are easy to forget:

* Fundamental techniques in handling people:
1) Don't criticize, condemn, or complain
2) Give honest and sincere appreciation
3) Arouse in the other person an eager want

* Why some people are very likeable (or 6 ways to make people like you):
1) They are genuinely interested in other people
2) They are often smiling
3) They remember people's name. For them, this is the sweetest and most important sound in any language
4) They are great listeners. Often encourage others to talk about themselves
5) They always talk in the terms of the other person's interest
6) They make the other person feel important and do it sincerely

* 12 Ways to convince people to your way of thinking:
1) Avoid arguments
2) Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never tell someone that he or she is wrong
3) If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically
8) Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view
9) Sympathize with the other person
10) Appeal to noble motives
11) Dramatize your ideas
12) Throw down a challenge; don't talk negatively when a person is absent; talk only about the positive

* Be a Leader: how to stimulate change in people without giving offense or arousing resentment:
1) Begin with praise and honest appreciation

5) Pay little attentions
6) Be courteous
7) Read a good book on the sexual side of marriage
on August 28, 2015
Very useful insight with regards to how people think. Psychology has always been my favorite subject and this book explores it beautifully.

Though it's not always obvious, but we all want to feel superior to one another. This fact alone breeds unacceptable attitude on both sides of the argument.

The first one to talk elegantly and with a cooperative style would always win, whereas the hard and brittle mindset will always be blown away by the strong winds of logic and kindess.

This book emphasizes Bruce Lee's saying: "Be shapeless, be formless, be 'water' my friend."

Just to give you a small taste...using the strategies in this book enabled me to talk to people with an elegance that I had lost before, boy was I surprised! The result was overwhelming to say the least!!! When I genuinely showed interest in other people, they would talk for nearly an hour and a half, and would give me what I want - because I had given them first what they wanted: a feeling of superiority or importance.

This book doesn't teach you how to be a sycophant, but rather, how to win people's hearts in simple said terms.

Highly, HIGHLY, recommended.
on October 29, 2014
A great guide for managing human relations even for people not in business. I have tried some of the techniques in this book and found them very helpful for improving relations with the people I encounter in my day to day life. Great advice that can be adapted to any situation where you must talk to other people.
on October 5, 2014
This is one of those timeless books you want to have on your bookshelf through life. This is my first time reading anything by Dale Carnegie and I must say it lists many universal attributes that are useful in many different scenarios.

While some chapters may seem like the point is obvious, its the constant application of the principle itself that is important. For instance, "not criticizing, condemning or complaining," may seem unnecessary to write a chapter on. We all know that, right? But how many of us actually apply this approach regularly in our lives?

As Dale himself notes, you need to read this book more than once to let the principles sink in. If you're like me and practice speed reading to some extent, you will want to slow it down a few notches and really digest this great information!
on May 12, 2013
I only bought this because I read it as a youth and found it interesting. After re-reading it, I still think it is very good. I almost never read self-help books, but this has a lot of ideas that, while seeming obvious, are easy to overlook, and easy to lose sight of. It isn't so much an instruction book on how to be a "player" as it is a commonsense guide on how to be a more likable person (and a less obnoxious person).
on November 6, 2015
This book was suggested by many business professionals looking to work in the field of business, but after reading I realized this book is extremely applicable overall disregarding the occasion or work field. Dale presents very practical situations and habits to practice; key to this book is to consistently repeat the habit Carnegie suggests until it becomes second nature. This book is very helpful in building professional and personal relationships since the tips general can be applied in most situations. The book teaches you to appreciate others through compliments, no complaints and arguments without coming off as kissing their behinds. Dale teaches small details such as remembering the name of every one you meet to have a closer personal connection. One issue I see happening is some individuals have issues with beginning conversations or interacting with others, but as a person who belongs in this group, I can say the tips are simple and easy to complete so taking that first step is not a monumental leap which makes it easier to get the ball rolling. Overall, this book teaches principles of how to communicate to others which can definitely improve and enhance aspects of your work and personal life, definitely recommend for people who look to improve their relationship building skills or general life improvement tips.