- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
From Idea to App: Creating iOS UI, animations, and gestures Paperback – Mar 18 2011
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Shawn Welch has designed and developed iOS applications since the launch of the first iPhone in 2007. Most recently, Shawn has taken on the role of iOS designer and developer for Kelby Media Group and the National Association of Photoshop Professionals, developing apps for their online training site, Kelbytraining.com, and annual conferences and events such as Photoshop World. A graduate of Kansas State University in Computer Engineering, Shawn has also worked as Senior Media Editor for Digital Strategy for Pearson Higher Education, Arts and Sciences, managing and producing digital technologies and mobile applications for Pearson’s college level A&S textbook division.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
What I was hoping to see were code samples demonstrating specific techniques. For example, animations and gestures are explained but there isn't a project to demonstrate their use beyond very simplistic examples. There are a few 1 or 2 page code samples that illustrate a point but if you've done iOS development before you know that means it's a very simple proof of concept style sample. Like the kind you'd get off of stackoverview.
The book has potential but what it is lacking is implementation detail. Now, that may be what the author is looking for: idea generation instead of code recipes. It gives you some ideas. I think for it to go to the next level it needs to string some of the ideas together into a comprehensive project.
If you're an iOS developer who is already familiar with the basic controls, views, tables, and what animations and gestures are available then this book isn't for you. If you're just getting started or are not a developer and want to be familiar with what's available then this book may be perfect. If I was just starting out this book would have been helpful. 6 months in.... not so much.
With this app you *will*:
*Create your first iOS application, if you have never had the opportunity to have done so before.
*Learn techniques to bring your vision to light; if you are serious about creating your dream on this platform, you need to understate how to communicate your ideas to not only yourself, but the computer if you will be engaging all coding activities. Beyond this, if you are looking to hire a iOS developer, this book is invaluable in that it will enable you to communicate your vision to those you pay. This will cut down on time and money. Don't be fooled, you need to have a clear and concise understanding of what you want in order to make it happen.
Best holiday wishes. This book would make a great gift under the tree if you have someone who is passionate about development. It is what got me going, and I have a long way to go. I have been designing screens for my dream iPad app for a while now, and this book is what has gotten me to get a proficient enough level to start looking outside of the book and learning from online materials. Without the framework I received from Welch, I would not be able to understand what youtube videos or other online based tutorials communicate.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Apple > Mac Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Mobile Phones, Tablets & E-Readers > Handheld & Mobile Devices
- Books > Computers & Technology > Mobile Phones, Tablets & E-Readers > Programming & App Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Data in the Enterprise
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Wireless Networks
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Website Architecture & Usability
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Software Design & Engineering