- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
GIS For Dummies Paperback – Feb 17 2009
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Curious about GIS?
Organizing a GIS?
Here's the book you need!
Geographic information system, or GIS, is a powerful technology that has been called "geography on steroids." This book contains what you need to know on mapping terminology and digital mapping, how to locate geographic features and analyze their patterns, and how to generate travel directions, customer locations lists, and much more with GIS.
GIS takes a village know all the hardware and software necessary to collect, analyze, and manipulate GIS data
Just for map mavens explore the difference between 2D and 3D maps, create a map, or manage multiple maps
What the data mean analyze patterns that appear in maps and interpret the results
Think spatially recognize how spatial factors relate to geographic data
On the grid define and locate geographic objects on the grid
The earth is not flat accurately portray geographic features with map projections
Technological duct tape discover the many uses of GIS for business, the military, city planning, emergency services, land management, and more
Design a GIS determine what your organization needs, do appropriate analyses, and plan your system
Open the book and find:
How to get paper maps into your computer
Different ways to measure distance
How to organize your spatial data
What raster and vector mean to a cartographer
How to choose a GIS software vendor
How GIS can help you determine appropriate land use
Dozens of applications for GIS queries and analyses
How to create animated GIS output
About the Author
Michael N. DeMers is an Associate Professor of Geography with more than 25 years of GIS experience. He is also CEO of DeMers Geographics, a provider of educational resources for GIS students and educators.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book provides some basic step-by-step instructions on how to perform queries using a GIS software, ESRI ArcGIS. The book, in summary, explains: (a) background information about the GIS; (b) what a GIS can produce (the product and its uses in the real world); and (c) the infrastructure and components that support GIS operations (the things that make a GIS work).
I do not recommended this book if one is studying a GIS program at a higher educational institution. There are better detailed GIS books to purchase in this case. However, if one has issues explaining the technicalities of a GIS (e.g. presenting a GIS to non-technical clients) in simple English, this book may be of interest; it has helped me to become a better communicator. I say it's a good reference book for GIS professionals.
Revised on 1 January 2012.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Software Engineering > Information Systems
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Computer Science > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Hardware
- Books > For Dummies Store > Science > General
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Remote Sensing
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Cartography
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Cartography
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography > Information Systems
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography > Regional
- Books > Textbooks