VCI Entertainment and The Rank Collection presents "GENEVIEVE" [Blu-ray] (1953) (86 min/Color) -- Starring: Dinah Sheridan, John Gregson, Kay Kendall, Kenneth More, Geoffrey Keen, Reginald Beckwith, Arthur Wontner Guest Artistes: Joyce Grenfell, Leslie Mitchell
Directed by: Henry Cornelius
Another great film from the British Invasion - VCI has restored and brought from their vaults
Light hearted comedy about an antique car rally and the competitive relationship between two friends. Gregson is especially good as the bewildered husband who loves his old car--called Genevieve, baited by his larger than life friend Kenneth More, accepts a bet on who will return to London first.
Sheridan is also sharp as the loving wife who wants a different weekend but who gets into the spirit of things. Kendall sparkling as an upper class fashion model with an unexpected capacity for trumpet playing and heavy drinking almost steals the film.
Joyce Grenfell is funny as the hotel clerk. When giving the rules of the hotel to
Dinah Sheridan and John Gregson, in dismay can't believe what they're hearing. Just then
another tenant walks by and hears them, she then replies to Grenfell "Are they Americans?"
Also the clock across the square that tolls the hour and the inner workings of the clock that
is a bit distracting.
A splendid film of a long forgotten era of English film making, no film of this type has even come close.
I had tears of laughter and totally kept recalling various scenes with a joyful chuckle.
A catchy harmonica soundtrack by Larry Adler, keeps the tempo and spirits high on this very lively film from the Brits.
For product description and editorial review check this out on the Amazon site above my review
** Awards for Genevieve (1953)
1. Oscar Nominated Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (Larry Adler) & Best Writing, Story and Screenplay (William Rose)
2. Won BAFTA Film Award Best British Film
3. Nominated BAFTA Film Award Best British Actor (Kenneth More) and Best Film from any Source
4. Won Golden Globe Best Foreign Film UK.
1. Henry Cornelius [aka: Owen Henry Cornelius] (Director)
Date of Birth: 18 August 1913 - Capetown, South Africa
Date of Death: 2 May 1958 - London, England, UK
2. Dinah Sheridan [aka: Dinah Nadyejda Ginsburg]
Date of Birth: 17 September 1920 - Hampstead, London, England, UK
Date of Death: Unknown
3. John Gregson [aka: Harold John Gregson]
Date of Birth: 15 March 1919, Liverpool, England, UK
Date of Death: 8 January 1975, Porlock Weir, Somerset, England, UK
4. Kay Kendall [aka: Justine Kay Kendall-McCarthy]
Date of Birth: 21 May 1926 - Withernsea, Yorkshire, England, UK
Date of Death: 6 September 1959 - London, England, UK
5. Kenneth More [aka: Kenneth Gilbert More]
Date of Birth: 20 September 1914, Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, England, UK
Date of Death: 12 July 1982, Fulham, London, England, UK
SPECIAL BONUS FEATURES:
1. Documentary - "A Profile of Genevieve" (30 minutes): An amusing look at the madcap motoring movie
2. Includes interviews with Dinah Sheridan (starring actress), Larry Adler (Composer),
Clive Donner (Film Editor) and Christopher Challis (Director of Photography)
& featuring the veteran cars themselves!
3. Photo & Poster Gallery!
4. Trailers: CAMPBELL'S KINGDOM - (Blu-ray) & AGENT 8 3/4 aka HOT ENOUGH FOR JUNE - (Blu-ray)
Mr. Jim's Ratings:
Quality of Picture & Sound: 5 Stars
Performance: 5 Stars
Story & Screenplay: 5 Stars
Overall: 5 Stars [Original Music, Cinematography & Film Editing]
Total Time: 86 min on DVD ~ VCI Entertainment #9006 ~ (September 6, 2011)