summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Size: One Size|Change

on April 24, 2014
Having a saw in the handle is very handy. Hatchet is very sharp and holds an edge well. Lenght of the handle is short enough for backpacking but long enough to get a good swing and strike for chopping.

The only problem with this hatchet is the way the handle attaches to the head. Splinters get lodged in beside the plastic where it wraps around the head.

Great for chopping, pounding tent pegs, sawing branches etc...
on September 28, 2013
I bought this product for back country canoe trips. When a box from Amazon arrived I thought there must have been a shipping error because the box was so light. I thought either the wrong item shipped or I ordered just the sheath.
To my surprise it was the axe. I was astounded by its light weight. I thought this is barely going to be noticed in my backpack.
The sheath fits perfect around the axe head and is very durable. The axe itself is very solid for its light weight. It was used as a hatchet and a hammer. The saw was tested for fun on varying thickness of branches and it made easy work of them.
I would recommend this tool for the hiker or paddler looking for a light weight hatchet with the added bonus of the saw for those just in case moments.
on September 5, 2014
Good enough for me.
Edge on axe is easy to file and keep sharp.
Saw is a nice touch for cutting up branches the right size for the BioLite camp stove.
Mine came with a flexible heel sling type catch to hold the saw in place(attaches through the hole in pic and slides over the back end of the axe) even though the magnets seem strong enough to hold the saw in without it.
Grip of axe is great, does not seem to slip in my hand or cause stress to palm skin when gripped tightly and swung for a couple hours.
on September 13, 2013
They fixed the saw so it doesn't fall out any more. Saw works amazingly. Hatch does a great job splitting wood. I am very please with the product.
on July 12, 2014
Keep this in my jeep to clear trails and use it to split hardwood camping. For your safety, always remove the saw when using the hatchet. Gerber quality, just what I expected.

Update Jan 19th 2015: This thing has still not been sharpened despite hitting a few staples and rocks whilst splitting wood at camp. The rubberized coating is starting to peel from the handle, however I still maintain the rating.
on March 15, 2015
Only used a few times so far, but it's been working great. Very lightweight as well, you can strap it to a pack and take it hiking for cutting/chopping firewood. I wouldn't call it an axe, but it's a handy hatchet to have around.
review image
on March 5, 2012
I bought this hatchet (from MEC actually) prior to a West Coast Trail excursion two years ago. Since then, I've used it on five backpacking trips, all at least 5 days long.

I found that this hatchet is fairly well weighted, and that the handle retains grip even in the rain. The metal will develop superficial rust in the presence of salt water spray (didn't touch the ocean directly), on spots, but this is not uncommon with metal that isn't stainless steel or the sort.

The saw on the other hand... the saw is held in the handle with magnets. The magnets hold it in the handle OK, but I had my saw fall out a few times with the hatchet strapped to my thigh while hiking. The saw also came out halfway a few times while vigorously hatcheting. I usually left the saw out when I used the hatchet.

My recommendation would be to get the Gerber hatchet without the saw and bring a pocket-chain-saw type saw instead. The saw is pretty hard to use anyway.

tl;dr, a decent hatchet but the saw leaves a little to be desired.
on December 16, 2015
Very functional. Convenient how the mini saw hides in the handle. I wondered how much I would actually use it and it turned out to be more than I thought. Would buy again.
on September 5, 2013
I was looking for a compact saw, and this fits the bill, at a great price point. Perfect for my needs
on March 23, 2015
The hollow handle broke when used in very cold weather. Replaced by Gerber so very happy.