- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
German, Plus: Learn to Speak and Understand German with Pimsleur Language Programs Audio CD – Abridged, Audiobook
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Dr. Paul Pimsleur devoted his life to language teaching and testing and was one of the world’s leading experts in applied linguistics. After years of experience and research, Dr. Pimsleur developed The Pimsleur Method based on two key principles: the Principle of Anticipation and a scientific principle of memory training that he called “Graduated Interval Recall.” This Method has been applied to the many levels and languages of the Pimsleur Programs.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I would skip this set and move on to a grammar book or a vocabulary product (I like Vocabulearn, which after Pimsleur will kick you in den Ars**)
1) There is continuity between the lesson dialogues so the vocabulary is reviewed often; therefore, each lesson builds upon the one(s) prior to it (I found this technique to be particularly prevalent in German Plus, in which the scenarios represented in the dialogues actually unfold as a story).
2) The pauses are a good length, enabling the learner to have sufficient time to say in German what the Pinsleur instructor asks him/her to say, yet the pauses are not so long as to cause the learner to become bored. What I'm saying here is that the pace is just right.
3) The Pimsleur instructor "disects" many of the newly-introduced words and asks the learner to say only the last syllable and then adds the other syllables to build the entire word.
4) There are no boring drills! It's true conversation from the very beginning!
5) No book is necessary (or even included), making it suitable for use in the car.
I have been complimented by native German speakers as to my precise articulation and the fact that I speak with "no accent". I credit the Pimsleur method for this. I highly recommend German Plus as well as the 3 Comprehensive levels to anyone who has had some background (doesn't have to be a lot) in the German language. I recently learned that Pimsleur is planning to produce a second round of Spanish Plus and am hopeful that the second round of German Plus is just over the horizon. When that time arrives, I will be first in line!
I've been through all 4 levels and found them all great. Including level 4 (German Plus). This one has a bad rap, I think mostly because it's shorter than the rest. And certainly some of the new vocabulary is quite focused on one topic. But I found it added a lot of new conversational situations, and a lot of new grammar. Do you learn words that the average tourist doesn't need? Sure, but if you were just the average tourist, would you be buying these? We are only talking about a dozen or so words, it's not like your being forced to learn hundreds of words you'll never use. These are real world conversations, thats what matters most.
Are they perfect? No, there are inconsistencies, there are silly little things here and there that I would call "editing" mistakes. And I really wish they'd give up the pretension that you only need to do each lesson once. I had to do each one at least 3 times before I could move on. But they are great for what they are. If you want to practice conversations, this is for you.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > General
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Languages > Language Instruction > German
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Nonfiction
- Books > Audiobooks > Languages
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Books on Cassette
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > German > Books on CD
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > German
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages > German