summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

on April 29, 2015
Amazing knife. You will not be disappointed. Light. Sharp as He!! and the top edge is slightly rounded just in front of the handle so it doesn't hurt your hand/finger if you are holding it the way you are meant to. We tested several high end brands in stores before deciding on this one and will probably get a few more Global knives over time to build up our collection.
Note - according to the info that came with the knife these are designed for Right handed people. I can't see the difference when looking at it but apparently the blade is sharpened in such a way that it is meant to be used by right handers. The manufacturers info says that Left handed knives are available but be special order.
To be honest, I have tried it in my left hand and can't tell the difference but I am right handed so it wasn't a true test over time chopping a lot of stuff.
on April 9, 2015
This knife is a joy for me, it's the first knife I reach for and makes cutting the tricky stuff like tomatoes, a fun chore. It's beautifully formed as well, so a great buy for me. I would suggest also the purchase of a StabSlab Knife Dock, as easiest & safe way to store these special knifes.
on June 21, 2014
Bought this knife as I suspected that my existing knives were cheap...and I was right.

Love that knife. Very sharp and easy to handle...this is a huge difference with my old ones.

I love the handle; good size and because it's one piece; stuff does not get stuck. Very easy to clean.

Will definitely buy more and slowly replace my cheap ones.
on July 30, 2014
supper light and comfortable. Extremely Sharp if maintained correctly. Some food does stick when chopping large amounts. I would recommend the pitted blade version of this knife, if you are spending a lot of your time preparing vegetables.
I cant recommend global knives enough. I have a few now and they wont be my last
on January 19, 2016
used this knife in a professional kitchen as a garmo for an entire summer, never failed me- lost its edge after a month or so and sharpening a knife like this can be a pain as you pretty much have to put a new edge on it. I was using it consistently for about 4 hours a day for prep and had it with me on line for service, It was actually a really great knife for service as it is so light and relatively cheap so if it drops its not the end of the world. got mine for $80cdn. For a home cook I would probably recommend something a little heavier, I had to switch to a different knife for heavier things like carrots or squash and when the handle is wet it can feel uncomfortable in the hand.
on March 15, 2013
This is the fourth Global knife I've bought and it won't be the last. I've slowly been replacing my entire collection with global as I haven't found anything else as sharp that holds its edge for as long and that feels as good in the hand. This price is by far the best I've seen anywhere in Canada as well, definitely a great buy.
on April 5, 2014
Extremely sharp out of the box. Probably the sharpest you'll ever get it unless you're skilled in the sharpening arts (I'm not). Weight and balance are subjective but they tend to work well for me. One of the best features is the one piece construction. No worries about food getting caught in the grips or pinch points. A breeze to clean between uses. I spritz with vinegar and wipe with a clean towel.
on June 18, 2003
Based on Chef Tony's recommendations, I put this knife on a Christmas wishlist and was superbly delighted that the Chef knows what he's talking about. The 8-inch Chef's Knife is light, sharp, and versatile. Meats, veggies, fruits, fish don't stand a chance. I recently received another of Chef Tony's suggestions: the Wusthof offset-serrated knife (it's available here for 30-some dollars) and between these two, there's nothing you can't do in the kitchen. Who is Chef Tony? Anthony Bourdain. Go get "Kitchen Confidential" and find out what I'm yammering about :)
on November 20, 2002
This is one of the first global knives I bought. I loved it the first time I held it in my hands. What impressed me most was the perfect balance, the lightweight, and the sharpness. However, what may be perfect for me may not be perfect for you. I'd recommend anyone who is shopping for cutlery to go to a store and try how the knife feels in your hands before buying. And if you can borrow from a friend to try, that's even better.
Having used this knife for several years now, my initial impressions haven't changed. This is still my favorite knife for most tasks. I maintain it regularly with a steel and it is as sharp as it ever was. I have found though that for certain tasks like cutting slits into an onion for dicing or cutting root vegetables, I do prefer a heavier knife (that's why I bought another forged global knife), but that is just personal preference. All in all, a great general purpose kitchen knife.
on April 27, 2015
Look no further for any other knives. This is the one to settle with.
Almost like a light saber. Razor-sharp is the best way to describe it, and compared to other knives that I own, that are: Wusthof Ikon Chef's 8 in., Shun Premier Chef's 8 in., Victorinox Chef's 8 in.
This is at the top, way above the bar.