This movie pulls no punches in revealing the dark sides of its characters, and the result is a gritty, compelling crime drama, with a surprise around every corner.
Casey Affleck (brother of Ben a.k.a. the Director of the movie, a.k.a. half of Bennifer 2) plays Patrick Kenzie, a low budget private investigator who specializes in finding missing people. His partner is his live-in girlfriend Angie, and the two are hired by the aunt of a missing girl to supplement the efforts of the police force in locating her.
Kenzie soon meets Capt. Doyle (Morgan Freeman) and winds up working with officers Remy and Nick (Ed Harris and John Ashton). During the investigation, Kenzie learns that the girl's mother Helene (convincingly played by Amy Ryan) is no angel, and that she and her boyfriend may have inadvertently started a chain reaction leading to the abduction of her daughter by their greedy and stupid actions.
You'll think that the movie is over at least twice before it actually ends, and it keeps the viewer on edge just knowing that there's even more stuff about to happen. This movie deals with unpleasant topics such as kidnapping, drug abuse, pedophilia, child abuse and more, but Ben Affleck handles these unappealing subjects with such panache and realism that you'll have a bitter taste in your mouth for a long time after watching this movie.
Words of Wisdom (WOW):
1. Don't ever try to steal from your neighborhood drug dealer
2. If your boyfriend's name is Skinny Ray, chances are you're not heading for a stable long term relationship
3. Trust nobody
4. What feels right may not always be right
5. The right thing can be the hardest thing to do
6. Make sure you know where your children are
7. Although it may be wise to skip movies starring Ben Affleck, you shouldn't miss the ones directed by said Ben Affleck