The life of those who belong to a fraternity and sorority, the third chapter of "GREEK" continues the fun, crazy and also the dramatic life of GREEK fraternity and sorority life but also the challenges that students face but also adding the love triangles, dramas, relationships and the rivalries that exist.
"GREEK" is an ensemble type of drama series with each character having their main storyline, although many of the storylines center around the sorority and fraternity lifestyle of Casey and Rusty Cartwright.
The episodes focus on the following characters:
Casey Cartwright (played by Spencer Grammer) - The interim president of Zeta Beta Zeta. The primary character is a sorority sister who has to lead her sorority after a scandal nearly ends their sorority. Casey has her own problems as her ex-boyfriend Cappie is now dating Rebecca Logan in her sorority (who she can't really stand) and her current relationship with Evan Chamber is not going quite well.
Rusty Cartwright (played by Jacob Zachar) is a Kappa Tau Brother. Very intelligent, nerdy and sometimes doesn't fit in with his partying fraternity but nevertheless, he admires his sister Casey and is the little fraternity brother of Cappie. He is good friends with Calvin and defends him.
Cappie (played by Scott Michael Foster) is Rusty's fraternity big brother, the president of Kappa Tau Gamma and ex-boyfriend of Casey and starting a relationship with Rebecca Logan. He still has some feelings for Casey but now is in love with Rebecca.
Evan Chambers (played by Jake McDorman) is the newly elected president of Omega Chi Delta. Former best friends with Cappie and now in a rival fraternity. The two don't care for each other and Evan started dating Casey, still in love with her but knows that Casey has moved on. But gets very jealous when Casey is with another guy.
Calvin Owens (played by Paul James) is a brother at Omega Chi Delta and best friends with Rusty. Life has been different for him since he has been outed that he's gay. A good friend to Ashleigh.
Ashleigh Howard (played by Amber Stevens) is Casey's best friend, sometimes ditzy and a member of Zeta Beta Zeta. A good friend of Calvin and really cares about him (and possibly liked him) but accepts him being gay and sometimes tries to but into his affairs.
Dale Kettlewell (played by Clark Duke) is Rusty's roommate. A nerdy guy, straight edged and believes he can cure Calvin being gay. Started his own group U-SAG (University Students Against Greeks).
Rebecca Logan (played by Dilshad Vadsaria) is a sister at Zeta Beta Zeta, a senator's daughter, dating Cappie and because of that, really doesn't like Casey.
Frannie Morgan (played by Tiffany Dupont) is Casey's Big Sister, the former president of Zeta Beta Zeta but was kicked out due to a scandal. Trying to establish a relationship with Casey and the sisters again but her return may be less sincere as she secretly hooks up with Evan.
"GREEK - CHAPTER 3' on DVD features the following episodes (spoiler-less summaries):
* EPISODE 1 - Brothers and Sisters - It's the annual "Greek Week" competition and there is more pressure on Rusty and Calvin's friendship since they are from opposing houses. As for Rebecca, after the stripping scandal from Spring Break, she now must face punishment from Zeta Beta Zeta.
* EPISODE 2 - Crush Landing - Casey and her best friend and sorority sister, Ashleigh realize they are attracted to the same man.
* EPISODE 3 - Let's Make a Deal - Casey and Rusty develop a plan to help Ashleigh with her debts. Meanwhile, Rebecca wants more from her relationship.
* EPISODE 4 - Gays, Ghosts and Gamma Rays - Rusty uncovers a possible spy in Kappa Tau. Meanwhile, Ashleigh wants Calvin to have more gay friends.
* EPISODE 5 - Pledge Allegiance - Kappa Tau is tired by the way they are being treated and decide to fight back.
* EPISODE 6 - See You Next Time, Sisters - Casey, Ashleigh, Frannie and Lizzie attend the Zeta Beta Zeta National Convention in Orlando and Frannie wants to overturn a rule that prevents her from becoming a president again. Therefore Casey and Frannie go against each other in getting votes.
* EPISODE 7 - Formally Yours - It's time for the ZBZ Formal and Casey goes with Max and Ashleigh goes out with... Rusty?
* EPISODE 8 - The Popular Vote - Rusty and Cappie take part in a speed dating event, meanwhile Casey and Ashleigh discover a cassette tape in Frannie's room.
* EPISODE 9 - Three's a Crowd - Ashleigh becomes the new ZBZ President, while Casey and Frannie get into another competitive squabble. Meanwhile, Rusty finds out a secret in regards to Dale's high school friend.
* EPISODE 10 - Hell Week - The new pledges must go through hell week, meanwhile Casey agonizes over Max going to Cal Tech for grad school. Frannie drops a major bombshell on the Zeta Beta Zeta sorority.
VIDEO & AUDIO:
Video is featured in Widescreen (1:78:1), enhanced for 16×9 televisions. There are a lot of outdoor and indoor shots and the series does have quite a bit of grain but nothing too distracting.
Audio is featured in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, the show is mostly dialogue-based but there are quite a bit of music featured in the episodes, but the audio is pretty much front and center channel driven and audio is clear and understandable.
"GREEK: CHAPTER THREE" comes with the following special features:
* Disc 1: Audio commentary for "Brothers and Sisters" with commentary by executive producers Shawn Piller and Anne Kenney, executive story editors Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin and actors Dilshad Vadsari and Jake McDorman.
* Disc 2: Audio commentary for "Popular Vote" featuring commentary with Executive Producer Lloyd Segan, writer Matt Whitney and Actors Amber Stevens and Paul James.
* Disc 3: Features the following special features:
- 20 Questions with the Cast of GREEK - (16:20) The cast of "GREEK" are asked 20 questions and answer them in their own fun way.
- Blooper Reel - (3:10) "GREEK" bloopers!
- Audio Commentary - View "Hell Week" with commentary by Executive Producer/Show Creator Patrick Sean Smith, Writer Roger Grant and actors Spencer Grammer, Scott Michael Foster, Jacob Zachar and Michael Rady.
Similar to the last DVD releases, you can definitely expect lively, fun and enjoyable commentary in this latest release.
"GREEK - CHAPTER THREE" continues to up the ante in regards to new pledges joining the fraternities but even more so for the problems that Casey and Ashleigh have to face in the Zeta Beta Zeta house courtesy of their sister, Frannie. Whereas the first two chapters featured multiple love triangles and angst, the characters are much more well-grounded this time around but still face major challenges within their fraternity and sorority. Also, "GREEK - CHAPTER THREE" delves deeper into more character development and the various friendships but still maintaining the GREEK events on campus.
It's important to note that similar to the release of Chapter One and Chapter Two on DVD, "GREEK" will more than likely continue to be released not as a full season set but half season sets therefore going by "chapters". Chapter 3 focuses on the ten episodes that aired in the Fall of 2008.
Overall, "CHAPTER THREE" definitely revs up the Casey vs. Frannie storyline and by episode 10, Frannie's bombshell definitely sets the stage for a more competitive Chapter 4 between the two women. Both Spencer Grammer (Casey) and Tiffany Dupont (Frannie) do a solid job and also an interesting reversal for the character of Rebecca Logan (Dilshad Vadsaria). Ashleigh fans will be happy to see there are more episodes utilizing her character. Also, Rusty Cartwright (Jacob Zachar) receives major development from being the meek teenager to a guy who is starting to come out of his own shell. Cappie (Scott Michael Foster) will always be Cappie and the series also further explores Calvin's (Paul James) homosexuality but also trying to fit in like a regular pledge member to a fraternity.
It was also fun to see "Buffy the Vampire" and "Angel" starlet, Charisma Carpenter again, playing the character of Tegan Walker. It was also great to see Carol Potter (who played Cindy Walsh, the popular mother from "Beverly Hills 90210') once again. And I also enjoyed seeing Ms. Manners - Lizzi (Senta Moses) coming to the aid of Casey once again.
As for the DVD, similar to the previous DVD releases, you get the upbeat and enjoyable commentary tracks and a few other special features. But for the most part, for fans of "GREEK", this latest chapter is another solid DVD release and definitely hooks you in and makes you wonder how explosive the episodes are going to get for Chapter 4. Especially for the Zeta Beta Zeta sisters as things are no longer going to be the same.
Overall, "GREEK - CHAPTER THREE" continues to get better and manages to balance of portraying those in a frat or sorority but for those who are wanting more character development, you definitely get that with this latest chapter on DVD. Definitely worth checking out!