- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
HPLC: A Practical User's Guide Hardcover – Dec 18 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Everything you need to set up an HPLC systemthat takes advantage of the latest innovations
Here is the perfect handbook for both novice and experienced chromatographers. For novices, HPLC, Second Edition cuts through the technical detail, theory, and confusing variety of column types, enabling them to easily set up and maintain an HPLC system. For more experienced practitioners, the book explains how to fully exploit the most recent innovations and improvements in column technology. The latest information and techniques in high-temperature, micro-flow, and ultra-fast chromatography, as well as the linking of an HPLC to a mass spectrometer, represent just some of the new material featured in this Second Edition.
Readers benefit from the author's twenty-five years of experience in HPLC, first as a user, then as a field sales and application support representative, and finally as a teacher and consultant. The book's wealth of tips and troubleshooting advice originate from the author's own laboratory and field work.
HPLC's structure is carefully designed to give readers a solid foundationin the basics and then methodically build and refine their skills:
- Part I, HPLC Primer, presents the essentials needed to get an HPLC system up and running
- Part II, HPLC Optimization, explains how to make the best use of the common columns and troubleshoot problems
- Part III, HPLC Utilization, focuses on real-world applications, including interfacing HPLC systems with computers and robotic workstations
A CD-ROM with the author's PowerPoint® presentation, Practical Course in HPLC, is included with the book. Plus, new appendices offer answers to frequently asked questions, tables of solvents and volatile buffers, an updated glossary of terms, and laboratory experiments. In short, everything that you need to know to confidently separate, identify, purify, and quantify compounds is here.
About the Author
MARVIN C. McMASTER, PhD, is a consultant as well as an Adjunct Professor of Chemistry at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. Dr. McMaster has served as a researcher and product developer for DuPont, Kraft Foods, and Ciba-Geigy. Among his other publications, Dr. McMaster is author of LC/MS: A Practical User's Guide and coauthor of GC/MS: A Practical User's Guide (both published by Wiley).
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The author's writing style and grasp of technical writing is perfect in my opinion. The writing is concise, descriptions are precise and detailed, and are accompanied by technical drawings and useful appendices (glossary, troubleshooting guide, etc...). The text is even slightly humorous, but thankfully the author doesn't waste time with lots of 'hand-holding'.
I recommend this as the perfect book for scientists who are new to HPLC, and for technicians with practical HPLC experience who want to broaden their knowledge. Overall the book is so broad that it probably won't be the only text on HPLC that you own, but it has enough depth to be useful as a starting point for inquiry.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Pathology > Clinical Chemistry
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Chemistry > Analytic
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Analytic
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Chromatography
- Books > Science & Math > Essays & Commentary
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Pharmacology
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Pathology > Clinical Chemistry
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Chemistry