- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training, Etiology and Assessment of Behavior Problems Hardcover – Oct 16 2001
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
andbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training, Volume Two: Etiology and Assessment of Behavior Problems is a definitive handbook for dog trainers, behaviorists, breeders, veterinarians, and others who have a serious interest in dog behavior and training. Readers will benefit from the author's twenty-five years of study and experience with dogs as a behavioral consultant and trainer.
The vast majority of dogs exhibit at least one undesirable habit. Most of these problems are responsive to remedial training and brief counseling. However, some behavior problems are the result of a more complex etiology involving adverse emotional influences, cognitive disturbances, or pervasive behavioral disorganization. If not properly identified and treated, such problems may lead to the dog being removed from the home or euthanized.
Volume 2 of Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training explores the collective causes underlying the development of serous adjustment problems in dogs. Coupled with Volume 1: Adaptation and Learning, Volume 2 provides a comprehensive theoretical and practical framework for understanding the development and treatment of behavior problems.
The focus of Volume 2 is to present and evaluate the relevant applied and scientific literature, with the goals of clarifying what is known about the etiology of dog behavior problems and highlighting what yet remains to be learned. In addition, the author introduces several alternative ways for analyzing and understanding the etiology of behavior problems. Topics covered in depth include:
- History of applied dog behavior
- Behavioral etiology and assessment
- Fear, anxiety, and phobias
- Separation-related problems
- Compulsive behavior problems
- Dominance, territorial and fear-related aggression
- Appetitive and elimination problems
This volume is an authoritive and thoroughly referenced text that is written in a highly readable and enjoyable style. There are no other applied dog behavior texts of comparable quality and thoroughness available.
About the Author
Steven R. Lindsay, MA, is a dog behavior consultant and trainer in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, area, where he teaches handling, training, and behavior modification based on ethological principles. He also conducts seminars and is the author of numerous articles. Mr. Lindsay evaluated, handled, and trained highly skilled dogs for the U.S. military.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
OUR SPECIES is the only one that keeps and purposefully modifies the behavior of another species to make it a more compatible and cooperative companion and helper. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Animal Care & Pets > Dogs > Training
- Books > Medical Books > Veterinary Medicine > Small Animal Medicine
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Zoology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Animal Behaviour & Communication
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Veterinary Medicine > Small Animal Medicine
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Veterinary Medicine > Small Animal