- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests Paperback – May 12 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Is your product user-friendly? Take these steps to find out
Whether it's software, technical documentation, a cell phone, or a refrigerator, your customer wants — no, expects — your product to be easy to use. This fully revised handbook, a leading resource since 1994, provides clear, step-by-step guidelines to help you test your product for usability. Completely updated with current industry best practices and more varied examples, it can give you that all-important marketplace advantage: products that perform the way users expect.
Learn to recognize factors that limit usability
Decide whether testing should occur in a lab setting or at the site where the product is used
Set up a test plan to assess goals for your product's usability
Choose and train effective test moderators
Decide on the best way to collect and review data
Report the results and make recommendations
Learn user-centered design principles and practices — the context for usability testing
Reap the benefits of templates, tables, models, case studies, and other tools of the trade
Companion Web site
Go to www.wiley.com/go/usabilitytesting to find additional case examples, samples, and templates
About the Author
Jeffrey Rubin, author of the first edition of this book, has more than 30 years of experience as a human factors and usability research consultant and lecturer. A pioneer in the field of usability testing, he has consulted for leading companies worldwide.
Dana Chisnell is an independent user researcher and usability consultant. She has done usability, user interface design, and technical communications consulting and development since 1982.
For more information, please access the author's website at
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Now Dana Chisnell has done an outstanding job of bringing it up to date--and much more. From cover to cover, it's full of useful insights about every aspect of testing, based on the cumulative experience of two seasoned---and very smart--practitioners. And it's a pleasure to read.
If you do usability testing, or you're interested in learning how it's done, this book is a must-read.
It covers most of what you need to know to start testing (from designing the test until analyzing it) and advanced methods as well (like playing the devil's advocate during a session).
The book is mostly focused on the methodology, though there are many practical tips and good ideas on how to improve in testing.
I love it as a reference book, I always find myself re-reading the book before and after conducting tests. I'd recommend it to professionals who are new to usability testing and also for practitioners who would like to deepen their knowledge.
I followed the recommendations and researched a method to cheaply run user tests and decided on [...]. It allowed me to view videos of my users interacting with my site!!
It's now been thoroughly updated to reflect today's best practices.
Dana Chisnell is a leading usability professional, equally at home in the real world of deadlines and realities and in the world of academia. You'll find her practical, friendly approach throughout this book.
If you're new to usability testing, this book will take you step by step through what you need to know.
Even if you've been running usability tests for a while, you will find that this book is a valuable refresher and reference.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Human-Computer Interaction
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Website Architecture & Usability
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Reference > Instruments & Supplies
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems > Machinery
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical > Machinery
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Special Topics > Measurement
- Books > Science & Math > Experiments, Instruments & Measurement > Measurement
- Books > Science & Math > Experiments, Instruments & Measurement > Scientific Instruments
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Reference > Instruments & Supplies
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Reference > Instruments & Supplies