summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on September 24, 2009
Handmade Home really couldn't have come out at a better time given the recession and everything. This book, Amanda's second, is going to appeal to a wider range of people because it isn't a "parenting" book. It's just as family-centred, but her projects will inspire everyone from older children, to teens, to college students working at making their parent's castoffs their own, to indy crafters, and well everyone trying to escape the big box retailers idea of "decor".

Amanda encourages using thrifted and repurposed materials, so you won't feel left out if you can't afford or find (as is often the case in small communities) the current vogue in fabric prints or fibres.

Really fabulous! If you aren't into enlarging pattern pieces, visit the book's website and you can print out full size pattern pieces from there.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 13, 2009
I really enjoyed looking through Handmade Home when I brought it home from the library, and I quickly found 4 or 5 projects that I'd like to complete for my own home. I especially loved the wall hanging with pockets made from an old wool blanket, and the children's hats made from old sweaters. The baby girl dress made from a flowered pillow case is adorable--I do have a similar looking flowered pillowcase in my closet, but too bad I don't have a baby girl!

True, the instructions are not highly detailed, and there are little or no illustrations to explain the process. But if you come to this book looking for very detailed instructions, you are missing the point. I believe these projects are intended as a jumping off point--they are intended to inspire. After looking through the projects, and seeing how Amanda has taken old towels, pillowcases, sheets, blankets, and doilies and turned them into such amazing creations, I am full of ideas for similar projects I can make myself. When I look at my linen closet now, I don't think "Hmmm, I'll never use that old sheet again," but instead "Hmmm, what could I make from that?"

In these days of financial hardship for so many, we could all benefit from learning to reuse old materials in our homes rather than always going to the store and buying something new. Our grandmothers did it, and we can do it too, if we have a little creativity. I highly recommend this book, not so much for the projects themselves, as for the inspiration they offer.
on August 20, 2011
This is an excellent book! There are so many projects. I can't wait to make all of them. So far, I've made two picnic blankets as wedding gifts. They were a big hit. I've also made the potholders. I love using vintage fabric, old sheets or fabric that would otherwise be thrown out. Next, I will be making tote bags out of old tablecloths. I hope Amanada Soule comes out with another project book soon, because I will be first in line to buy it.
on November 26, 2014
I love this book, it has lots of interesting things you can make at home and all the necessary instructions plus patterns. The book was in good condition and packaged well.
on January 18, 2016
Love her inspiration spending time with her kids and bringing them into her world. What a joy.
on May 21, 2016
Awesome book. Bought as a gift for my wife for Mother's Day.
on July 31, 2015
Birthday gift for my Wife among other books, she said it was a good one
on November 10, 2014
Expédition rapide, produit excellent état.