- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
- Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.ca price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Harley Hahn's Internet Insecurity Paperback – Oct 12 2001
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
By the author of Harley Hahn's Internet Yellow Pages...over two million copies in print!
Why Your Privacy, Security, and Safety are at risk and what you can do about it.
You are being watched!
- Do you have at a right to privacy at work? The answer may scare you. See "Why You Are On Your Own" in Chapter 2.
- Would you like to know how to protect your personal information at work? It's easy. Just read "Cleaning Out Your Computer Every Day" in Chapter 4.
- Do you suspect that your spouse may be having an online affair? Don't be fooled. See "8 Signs That Your Spouse is Having an Online Affair" in Chapter 14.
- Don't get fooled. That suspicious message may not be true. Find out by reading "8 Sure-fire Ways to Spot an Email Hoax" in Chapter 8.
- Are you concerned about the government monitoring your Internet activities? You're in for a surprise. See "Is Big Brother Really Watching?" in Chapter 1.
- Why are big companies allowed to trample on your rights to privacy? Find out the real truth by reading "Have the Cowboys Run Amuck?" in Chapter 6.
- Are you concerned about your family being exposed to pornography on the Net? Don't be a victim. See "Net Sex and Pornography" in Chapter 14.
- Is there a sure-fire way to protect your computer from viruses? Yes! All you need to do is follow the instructions in "How to Be Safe: 4 Simple Rules" in Chapter 10.
- Are you thinking about spending money on the Net? Don't spend a dime until you read "6 Ways to Protect Yourself When You Buy Online" in Chapter 13.
- How can you safeguard your email address from advertisers and prevent unwanted email (spam)? It's easier than you think. See "Protecting Your Email Address" in Chapter 8.
- You need to protect your children when they use the Net, but what is the best way to do it? The answer is in "Children and the Net" in Chapter 14.
Real Answers to Important Questions from the Best-Selling Internet Author of All Time.
About the Author
Harley has a degree in mathematics and computer science from the University of Waterloo, Canada, and a graduate degree in computer science from the University of California at San Diego. Before becoming a professional writer and the author of more than two dozen books, Harley studied medicine at the University of Toronto. When Harleyis not writing, he reads a lot, paints, plays the piano and gives advice to anyone who will listen.
Visit Harley at his Web site: www.harley.comSee all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
The computer sections of bookstores are filled with volumes on hacking and computer safety, many of them written for people who run servers, networks and large computer operations or who are charged with tracking the hackers. Some of them seemingly just want to scare us into shutting down out computers and never accessing the Internet.
Hahn's book is neither of these. It's written so even beginners can understand it, and it follows through on another promise made on the first page:
"I do not want you worrying needlessly about things that are not really a problem. For example, regardless of what you might hear, you do not need to worry about computer viruses or about unknown perpetrators breaking into your system -- not if you take a few simple precautions ... There are far more important things I want you to think about: how the Internet affects your privacy, your security, your money, your relationships, your work and your family."
I cringed when I read that, but Hahn is well-respected, and I wanted to see what he had to say, so I bought the book. While I'm not going to give up my anti-virus software or my firewall, I understand where he's coming from and agree that -- if we all followed his advice -- we'd probably be safe. I'm just not sure that most people are willing to follow the advice he offers.Read more ›
As I read Internet Insecurity, I wished that Harley had written it 3 years ago, when I was just beginning to use the internet. If I'd known then what I've since learned from the book, I would have avoided learning about online relationships the hard way, for instance. Because the dangers of the internet are not what we commonly think of, and although we need to know about computer viruses, and be aware of privacy issues, the most painful mistakes that we make are due to a lack of understanding of this new technology, which is set to change our lives in so many ways.
I would recommend Internet Insecurity to anyone using the internet. As well as being a fascinating way to learn all about the origins of the internet, computer viruses, online shopping, sex and relationships, it is the only book I have found which addresses the concerns we all have, and separates the real from the imaginery fears associated with the internet. I found the book both thought provoking and yet entertaining, and I have certainly learned a lot from reading it.
Not that Internet Insecurity deals exclusively with technical details. It's much more about how our lives will be affected by using this new technology, and is an insight into some of the problems we're only just starting to face. Like the danger of unwittingly becoming involved in an online relationship, or the pitfalls of buying and selling online.
Harley Hahn explains about computer viruses, giving an interesting history of how they started and advice on avoiding them. He also talks about the role of cookies, and the ways of protecting both yourself and your computer, and keeping your inbox free from spam.
In fact, anyone who uses the net would be well advised to read this book - it contains a huge amount of vital information, and will help you understand more about the impact of the net on our lives. I finished it wishing he'd written the book 3 years ago - if I'd read it then, I might have avoided some of the mistakes I subsequently made!
Even though I work on computers for a living, I still found several useful information from the book. Reading the last chapter which touched on the relationship issue, I wished the author had written the book several years ago. If I'd had the book then, I might have saved myself several regrets and become wiser without having to learn what I know now the hard way myself.
Other than a light touch of useful technical info, the author gives a very insightful perspective on the computer technology, esp. the internet world itself. I really, really enjoyed this book as I savored and immersed myself in the author deep thoughts and the extensive background info, which gave me a better understanding of how things've become.
I give this book 2 thumbs up and highly recommend it as a must read for anyone who'd love to broaden their mind and perspective.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > E-commerce
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Privacy
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Security
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Security & Encryption
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Security & Encryption > Encryption
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Services
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking