Harvest Moon Live
|Price:||CDN$ 7.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|1. Unknown Legend|
|2. From Hank To Hendrix|
|3. You And Me|
|4. Harvest Moon|
|5. War Of Man|
|6. One Of These Days|
|7. Such A Woman|
|8. Old King|
|9. Dreamin' Man|
|10. Natural Beauty|
Certified Multi Platinum (2 times)by the RIAA. (6/94)
When Neil Young seems about to zig, he zags. Two years after 1990's loud Ragged Glory, he retreats to an old world of steel guitars, gentle folk melodies, and pristine country choruses. (That's Linda Ronstadt, who helped make 1972's Harvest a hit album, singing backup on the follow-up.) Young name-drops Hank Williams, Jimi Hendrix, and his old dog, King, in rich reminiscences about the musical ride he and his fans have shared since the late '60s. The album, as Young sings in "One of These Days," is "a long letter to all the good friends I've known." --Steve Knopper
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I absolutely love this work. I keep waiting for him to come out with something that is similar. I know he will. It is soft, melodic, wonderful. Everyone, not just Neil fans, will love this one.
Do yourself the favor, if there is one Neil album that you should buy it is this one.
The magic of Harvest was that the themes and their presentation were varied and fresh, almost naive, Neil was pushing the cusp of his world, groping for his identity amidst the dramatically expanded world in front of him (thanks to his success as a very young musician).
Harvest Moon, while I will agree with other reviewers who note its overall quality, tightness of lyrics and seamless music, comes off as a well textured choreographed album. It has none of the quite rawness of Needle and the Damage Done or the angst of Alabama, nor really the expansive grace of Heart of Gold, let alone the introspective waltz meets boxing match of 'Old Man'.
Indeed, this brings us to what I see as the heart of the matter: Neil Young at the time of this record is a older man, and his record sounds like it, too much like it in fact given the emotion he brings his old and new songs alike in live concerts.
A major drawback for this album is the production. It is way to smooth, overbalanced. This dampens the variance in the songs, homogenizes their disparate textures.
There are some great songs on this album, and it sits well as a whole, but for me it never reaches up to fully grasp my attention, to make me really care about what he is singing about.
That said, I am much closer in age to the Neil Young that wrote and recorded Harvest than the one that wrote and recorded Harvest Moon. And there in may lie the difference.
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's his best work, but it's one of his most accessible works, and a good entry point for anyone wishing to familiarize themselves with Neil's acoustic side.
Most recent customer reviews
I expected a vinyl record, not a cd, so I was disappointed.Published 17 months ago by Heather Hutchinson
This is a great CD. I have listened to it many times.
"Harvest Moon" and "War of Man" are very good. Read more
I don't know many people who can say much that's negative about Neil Young and his music. He's had a long and productive musical career, one which has spanned well over 30 years. Read morePublished on July 8 2003 by Brandon Stanley
First of all, this is not one of Young's "rockin" albums. Do not get it if you're looking to jam. The songs are slow, atmospheric and HAUNTING. Read morePublished on Jan. 29 2003 by RMurray847
in my wedding ceremony i played and sang harvest moon to my bride on the beach one sunny saturday morning in june. what else can i say about this song. its in my heart forever. Read morePublished on Jan. 3 2003 by mitch
Look for similar items by category
- Music > Alternative Rock > Canadian > Alternative Styles > Rock
- Music > Alternative Rock > Canadian > Singer-Songwriters
- Music > Canadian Music
- Music > Classic Rock > Album-Oriented Rock (AOR)
- Music > Classic Rock > Folk Rock
- Music > Classic Rock > Live Albums
- Music > Country > Canadian > Alt-Country
- Music > Folk > Canadian > Contemporary Folk
- Music > Folk > Canadian > Folk Rock
- Music > Folk > Canadian > Singer-Songwriter
- Music > Folk > Folk Rock
- Music > Folk > Live Albums > Folk Rock
- Music > Hard Rock & Metal > Canadian
- Music > Pop > Singer-Songwriters
- Music > Rock > Canadian Rock > Classic Rock
- Music > Rock > Canadian Rock > Country Rock
- Music > Rock > Canadian Rock > Hard Rock & Metal
- Music > Rock > Canadian Rock > Rock Guitarists
- Music > Rock > Canadian Rock > Roots Rock
- Music > Rock > Canadian Rock > Singer-Songwriters
- Music > Rock > Country Rock
- Music > Rock > Live Albums > Classic Rock
- Music > Rock > Live Albums > Folk Rock
- Music > Rock > Live Albums > Singer-Songwriters
- Music > Rock > Singer-Songwriters