- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Heaven and the Flesh: Imagery of Desire from the Renaissance to the Rococo Hardcover – Aug 13 1996
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"...a fresh perspective on religious imagery (both visual and verbal)....a lucid interweaving of Milton and Caravaggio with frankly pornographic poetry and book illustrations. Hart and Stevenson should be commended for their unabashed discussion of sexualized religious imagery....an extremely refreshing presentation..." Choice
"Among the handsomest book of the season is Heaven and the Flesh: Imagery of Desire from the Renaissance to the Rococo, by Clive Hart and Kay Gilliland Stevenson." Studies in English Literature
Do the angels make love? Will the souls of ordinary people feel sexual pleasure in the next world? Heaven and the Flesh explores the relationship between sexual desire and spiritual ascension in art and writing from the high renaissance to the birth of romanticism. Clive Hart and Kay Stevenson analyse the work of little known as well as canonical writers and artists, and philosophers and theologians as well as wits. This wide-ranging and well-illustrated survey offers new and sometimes surprising insights into material both familiar and unfamiliar.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
A popular thirteenth-century fabliau tells of a naive virgin who insisted that she would never marry and who also said publicly, to many astonished listeners, that she had an overwhelming desire to fly through the air like Daedalus. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Criticism
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Sex
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory > Sexuality in Literature
- Books > Religion & Spirituality
- Books > Romance > Erotica > Sex in Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Art History
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Religious Studies