- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Henry V Audio CD – Audiobook, Nov 1 2000
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends; once more does Naxos venture into the realm of Shakespeare. This time it's HENRY V, the last of the Bard's works based on English history and generally considered his most historically accurate. It tells the story of an English king who defeats a vastly superior French force and ends up marrying the daughter of the French king to unite the thrones. This full-cast production is fairly easy to follow because the producers have taken care to give each character a distinctive voice. Bits of music and sound effects enhance the listening but do not overwhelm it. The liner notes are solid and should be read before listening to get an overview of the story. A scene-by-scene index (using first lines as cues) helps the listener keep track of where the characters are. Overall, this is a solid performance that makes a "talky" play easy to follow and understand. R.C.G. © AudioFile 2001, Portland, Maine-- Copyright © AudioFile, Portland, Maine
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I once saw, in the credits of a particularly poor Shakespeare film (and most are), the astounding words of - 'written by William Shakespeare, additional material by The Films Director' I forget his name now - but it struck me as strange that you would even mention youself in the same sentence as Shakespeare when discussing credits for writing. Something like 'written by Shakespeare - ruined by the Films Director' would have been more appropriate. Anyway - if you haven't read this book by the time you are 50 - then I can only envy you - I would pay a Kings Ransom to find an undiscovered Shakespeare play.
'The drama is full of singularly beautiful detached passages: for example, the reflections of the King upon ceremony, the description of the deaths of York and Suffolk, the glorious speech of the King before the battle, the chorus of the fourth act, remarkable illustrations of Shakespeare's power as a descriptive poet. Nothing can be finer, also, than the commonwealth of bees in the first act. It is full of the most exquisite imagery and music. The art employed in transforming the whole scene of the hive into a resemblance of humanity is brilliant'.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Authors, A-Z > ( S ) > Shakespeare, William
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > General
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Literature & Fiction > Drama
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Literature & Fiction > Poetry
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Music
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Nonfiction
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Poetry & Drama
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Reference
- Books > Boxed Sets > Entertainment
- Books > Boxed Sets > Literature & Fiction
- Books > Boxed Sets > Reference
- Books > Education & Reference
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Books on CD
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Reference
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > British
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Drama > British & Irish
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts > Music
- Music > Soundtracks