History of a Voyage to the Land of Brazil Paperback – Mar 11 1993
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"Whatley has done English readers not versed in French a major service by providing an annotated translation of Lry's fascinating text." -- Virginia Quarterly Review
"[This] clear and well-referenced translation will benefit anyone who cares about the early history of the European venture in Brazil, the history of religion, or the Tupinamb, the violent, wily, honorable, and endearing people among whom Lry spent over a year and whom he missed for the rest of his life." -- David Fleming, South American Explorer
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Original and insightful ideas and observations and to think it was one of the first books about first contact. Interesting
also in terms of the how Lery approached his subject with a great dosage of admiration and respect not common to ethnographic writing for the centuries to come...
Otherwise a great translation of a fascinating book.
It did have some interesting bits from time to time.
It was also interesting to read about a tribe that was openly, indisputably cannibalistic instead of just strongly-suspected.
Very short, about 200 pages of primary text. Beautifully introduced, translated and annotated, for sure.
I still don't know what a breviary is and I don't want to.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Travel
- Books > History > Americas > Central America
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Latin American
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Folklore
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences
- Books > Travel > Latin America > South America > Brazil
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Travel Writing