Hostage to the Devil - Reissue: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans Paperback – Jan 6 1999
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“Martin is above all serious. He is not speaking about madness, about illusions or the irrational, but about the real beyond all reason.... He presents exorcism as ... a titanic clash of wills that threatens the lives, the sanity, even the souls of all attending.” (Newsweek)
“Martin’s polished contemporary sense of traditional theology entices even the skeptical.... Stunningly pertinent ...Will set you thinking-and thinking-and thinking.” (Detroit News)
“The most shattering book on demonic possession isn’t fiction at all but Malachi Martin’s spellbinding work of interpretive reporting.” (New York (Sunday) Daily News)
“In the barrage of books on possession and exorcism, this is undoubtedly the most authoritative and convincing.” (The Washington Post Book Review)
“Malachi Martin ... was the greatest expert on the subject of possession and exorcism in the English speaking world.” (M. Scott Peck, M. D., author of Glimpses of the Devil)
“Hostage to the Devil is the first and only textbook on the subject of possession and exorcism in modern times. It is the only work to describe the stages of exorcism and it is obviously based on an enormous amount of personal experience. ... a brilliant work.” (M. Scott Peck, M. D., author of Glimpses of the Devil)
From the Publisher
A chilling and highly convincing account of possession and exorcism in modern America, hailed by NBC Radio as "one of the most stirring books on the contemporary scene."See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Interestingly, a Web site claims to quote from a Martin interview that, in his opinion, "Cases of possession and obsession have increased about 750% since the early 1970's." It is therefore doubly unfortunate that so many skeptical bishops have effectively forbidden the use of exorcism in their jurisdictions.
from the Catholic perspective, but the truth is: Satan, the
Prince of Darkness, is much more subtle than generally
portrayed here. He [It: Evil] is very much active via
demonic elements which find access thru abuse, past pain,
and (especially) WRONG CHOICES in relation to forgiveness,
bitterness, and morality. Satan is also "The Accuser" and
"The Prosecuter" who is always looking for the opportunity
to slander and accuse GOD and His servants.
Dr.Martin's book is an eye-opener to those who never thought
of Evil as being both personal and a real force in the world
to be reckoned with. In the end, you will find that the only
real protection (and greater power) is Love, Faith, and the
atoning, all-powerful Blood of the Crucified Lamb.
"...and they over came him (Satan) by the Blood of the Lamb,
by the word of their testimony, AND THEY LOVED NOT THEIR
OWN LIVES UNTO DEATH." - Revelation 12:11
As my life sadly has been the subject of diabolical influences I have read them all, with care.
My late father surrendered his soul to an evil spirit while quite young. He became one of the totally possessed. Under his pressure I succumbed to a degree of possession at the age of about 8. I did not know I was possessed but felt something was wrong. At about the age of 19 I decided I was going to find out what was wrong whatever the cost. My father sensed this and cursed me.
I had a terrible life. But eventually I came across Amorth's books and at the age of 51 received the Rite of Exorcism of the Catholic Church. One quite simple exorcism freed me. It lasted less than an hour and was quite unlike the exorcisms in this book.
I do not know whether the cases in Martin's book are true. But I know from experience that possession may happen and that exorcism does work.
All above is true.
* Martin is a former professor at the Vatian's Pontifical Biblical Institute.He researched and interviewed 5 exorcists and 5 cases of possession. He tells the story of each priest's calling and the circumstances leading to each possession. His prose will captivate you and you'll invite him back for more. I've read this book several times and distributed numerous copies as gifts.
* Martin is Catholic and I'm a Protestant Assemblies of God believer. This book breaks the DEMONINATION BARRIERS.Jesus is the vine(John 15).Who loves Jesus? John 14:21 states," Whoever has my commands and obeys them, He is the one who loves me....."
* Martin explores the spiritual fight that occurs in exorcism (aka deliverance) and details the battle for the soul.The will of the possessed, the strength of the priest's faith, and the crafty tactics of the devil's hordes all play a part in 5 climatic victory testimonies for Jesus....
Most recent customer reviews
the five stories are well written. it grabs your attention and doesn't let go until you've reached the end. I love the in-depth analysis of both the victims and the priests. Read morePublished 17 months ago by mozart inte
fake fake fake...this guy i even read about in the Rite to be a faker and he lies so much...the stories were ridiculous. i know i was possessed a few times. such bs. Read morePublished 17 months ago by Lucretia
Fantastic and eye opening read. Arrived quickly and in excellent condition.Published 18 months ago by Patrick
Well written book, not much biased but presented like a reporter. The only concern is - are all those stories true? It obviously looks genuine.Published on Feb. 27 2011 by Vanny Thai
Well, I am half way in to this book and its becoming difficult to continue. The writing style that Martin takes is excessively painful. Read morePublished on June 14 2004
It always amazes me that people give so much credence to "exorcisms" as relating to the Catholic Church. Read morePublished on March 4 2004
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Catholicism > Roman Catholicism
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Worship
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Church History > Catholic
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Angelology
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Catholic
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Worship & Devotion > Rites & Ceremonies
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Occult > Cults & Demonism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Angels