The House Plant Expert Paperback – Oct 1 1993
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“Everything you have ever needed to know on the subject.” Daily Telegraph
“The House Plant Expert is informative and excellent value.” The Guardian
From the Back Cover
The world's best-selling book on houseplants.
* Hundreds of houseplants illustrated in full colour in the exhaustive A-Z listing. * Each plant listing includes a quick reference 'secrets of success'. * Chapters on choosing the right plants for the environment, displaying plants, plant classification, propagation and pests and diseases.See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
* Plants in the Home: serves as an introduction to the book and gives some advice on choosing, buying, housing, and repotting plants, as well as learning the basic rules of care and creating the right growing conditions for your house plants.
* Displaying Indoor Plants: discusses the many considerations needed to be taken into account when keeping plants indoor, including mixing specimens, choosing pots, and selecting the right plant for each room.
* The Classification of House Plants: includes foliage house plants, flowering house plants, flowering pot plants and cacti.
* House Plants A-Z: is the most extensive alphabetized guide on house plants in print in a single volume. Each plant's entry includes its image and/or picture, a description of its most common varieties, details on how to plant, grow and care for it, and a list of the ordinary problems that affect it.
* Plant Care: gives instructions on how to optimize the natural elements that impact the plant's health, including temperature, light, water, humidity, and air.
* Increasing Your Stock: explains how to successfully propagate house plants by using the most suitable reproduction techniques.
* Plant Troubles: presents advice on how to speedily prevent or correct each trouble.
* Dictionary: defines both the technical and the not so technical terms used throughout the book.
* An Index.Read more ›
It's easy to see why this is the world's best-selling book on house plants, and why other Amazon customers have unanimously rated this five stars. Count me among them.
That all said, this is sure to be a staple in many bookcases, because it offers comprehensive and concise information regarding plant identification, basic growth necessities per plant (lighting, water, humidity, soil) or even plant groups (such as Succulents or Philodendrons, one of my favorites). The range of material is varied and includes all well-known and lesser-known plants that'll do well in your house or greenhouse (or even terrarium, which I do recommend, by the way).
Furthermore, there are additional chapters on for example diseases and what to do about them, displaying indoor plants, etc.. Inside these chapters can be found a wealth of information for beginners and experts alike. But what defines beginner or expert I'll leave to others.
The House Plant Expert even offers golden rules ... each his/her own rules, but you won't hear me arguing with these.
Anyway, for people growing tropical plants, I found out that they adore frequent misting, diffused sunlight, high humidity, company of each other, and room to grow (watch out for Monstera Deliciosa, that one goes fast and all over the place). And do invest in the right soil types; that makes a difference.
The major part of each book is an alphabetical look at most of the well-known plants in the subject area. Each plant is well illustrated, given its common and Latin name, its appearance is described, and its requirements for heat, light, water etc. listed briefly.
The "Expert" books offer sound basic advice about selecting and repotting plants, plant care, propagation and a section on diagnosing and treating common plant problems.
These are practical, down-to-earth books, mostly for the new gardener. Not even the brownest thumb can go far wrong using the "Expert" books, and The House Plant Expert is said to be the world's best-selling book on houseplants.
Most recent customer reviews
the author here doesn't duplicate the 2nd book over & over with the 1st one which is great - I love this bookPublished 22 months ago by Lover of Books
Whether you are reviewing old knowledge or seeking new, this book is fantastic. An in depth guide to house plants, from how to choose to where to place them. Read morePublished on Nov. 23 2013 by Dr. Miller
If only I'd known that this was one of those books they have lined up at home depot or cashway...full of bits of information for those who really don't know anything, but not... Read morePublished on July 9 2003 by Gina
I do NOT have a green thumb, but this book was so easy to follow and it made indoor gardening extremely simple. Read morePublished on June 27 2003
This is an excellent book yet someone who lives in the Russian speaking countries do not need this book because there is the good interpretation of the "Expert Series" in... Read morePublished on Oct. 29 2002 by Alexandre
I used to ALWAYS kill plants . .. until I got this book! It is so helpful with it's colored photos and easy plant care tips. Read morePublished on June 22 2002 by Pedro Girl