Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

on January 24, 2004
I genuinely applaud Nolo for the concept of bringing the law to people in a user friendly package. In execution, these books give me cold sweats. After reading this book I'd tell my friends that if they are solely relying on this book to form a non-profit of any sophistication, longevity, and expected reliance by contributors they are crazy and irresponsible.
To quote one expert, "The corporate landscape is littered with derelict suspended non-profit corporations...", and in my opinion this book will add many such carcasses to the NOP landfill, and lots of well meaning people may suffer.
This book missed dozens of important issues a founder or advisor needs to carefully consider and research before forming this legal entity. When the author doesn't want to deal with one of the complex and potentional hazardous issue areas you're told to research the issue at your local law library - sure. My review is simply this;
This book is the poster child for why "self-help" books should not be giving legal advice. If you use this book as general interest and background, it's OK, though not particularly well written. If your purpose is do-it-yourself incorporation, you're making a mistake.
Put this on the shelf next to Nolo's "How to do your own root canal".
on May 18, 2004
When I was starting up my nonprofit I didn't have thousands of dollars to waste paying a lawyer for advice. If this sounds familiar then I highly recommend Nolo's How to Form a Nonprofit Corporation. It takes you over all of the legal hurdles that you'll encounter in a well organized and user-friendly format. They've got you covered from preparing Articles of Incorporation, to applying for tax exemption, to following your state's specific requirements. It even includes all the forms you'll need on an included CD-ROM. Why waste money you don't have on expensive lawyers when you can do it just as well youself for so much cheaper? I didn't and now my nonprofit is prospering! Thanks Nolo.
on March 24, 2004
Before buying this book, our group spent thousands in legal fees trying to figure out how to form a nonprofit to help save our children's school library.
After reading this book, we got the nonprofit up and running -- and yes, the school library is alive and even expanding! The instructions were clear, the "Real English" style helped, the forms were accompanied with line by line instructions. We checked out other books, but this is the only one that addressed our needs. It's an amazing, amazing book. Thank you, Mr. Mancuso!
on February 20, 2003
I have started 4 companies in the past, my first nonprofit 2 years ago. I didn't know anything about them and this book taught me everything I needed to know to get going. I am frequently asked how to start a nonprofit by friends and I always just point them to this book. Even if you intend to use a lawyer to incorporate (which I recommend, also), this book will educate you on the things you need to know to understand the process.
on January 30, 2004
No summary or review states that the book is limited to one type of 501(c) corporation. I bought this book thinking it covered all types. Wrong! It's only good for the few types that qualify as tax-exempt 501(c)(3). I'm starting a neighborhood association, which falls under 501(c)(4), which this book doesn't cover. I would not have ordered the book if I'd known it was so limited.
on June 16, 2002
This is a great book which walks you through the steps of nonprofit incorporation, but just be careful and allow enough time to double-check crucial information with your state Attorney-General's office.